What Did You Buy Today?

anyone remember vacuum operated windshield wipers? they would slow down and speed up with engine speed.

My 66 bronco came with factory vacuum wipers run off the fuel pump.

Also a bonus theft prevention device, called a 3 on the tree that required soft precision shifts . Anything else would lock you up. Finesse of nothing. Loved it.

Lacking the need for high precision, I've been using a semi-decent set of telescoping gages. It took me quite awhile to learn their quirks. I have to set the micrometer up in a stand to get a good reading. Too many variables with my hand control.
Fowler dial Caliper gage with a test ring gage. 0.375" - 1.375" 0.001 Model 52-553-001 Nice wooden case. No country or origin. It was given to me about 20 years ago. I've used it for measuring IDs, internal recesses and keyway depths. Easy to use and very repeatable.

I have a couple sets of the older solid rod Starrett inside mics. With my clumsy paws I find them a little tougher to use.
I also have a set of those and have rarely used them. Not easy to use reliably.

Lacking the need for high precision, I've been using a semi-decent set of telescoping gages. It took me quite awhile to learn their quirks. I have to set the micrometer up in a stand to get a good reading. Too many variables with my hand control.
Fowler dial Caliper gage with a test ring gage. 0.375" - 1.375" 0.001 Model 52-553-001 Nice wooden case. No country or origin. It was given to me about 20 years ago. I've used it for measuring IDs, internal recesses and keyway depths. Easy to use and very repeatable.
Since at least 2006 some Fowler tools have been made in China. As I understand it Fowler has never done much in the way of manufacturing their tools. They design a product then shop the market to see who will manufacture it at the lowest cost

Several years back Long Island Indicator refused to work on many of their dial indicators. As it turned out the sub contractor was taking short cuts and not making the tools to the original specs.

OEM replacement parts didn’t fit properly rendering the tools useless. Fowler corrected the problem, but their reputation took a real hit

Since at least 2006 some Fowler tools have been made in China. As I understand it Fowler has never done much in the way of manufacturing their tools. They design a product then shop the market to see who will manufacture it at the lowest cost

Several years back Long Island Indicator refused to work on many of their dial indicators. As it turned out the sub contractor was taking short cuts and not making the tools to the original specs.

OEM replacement parts didn’t fit properly rendering the tools useless. Fowler corrected the problem, but their reputation took a real hit

Long before 2006...

I don't know how long before 2006, but I have a set of chinese Fowler micrometers (0-4") and a set of chinese Fowler depth mics that I bought new in 1995 or 96...

The chinese Fowler tools that I have had have all been decent quality... I still use the micrometers... 28-ish years later, they still work...

-Bear

their reputation took a real hit

some Fowler tools have been made in China.
A lot of "name brand" stuff is now made in China. Real machinists likely wouldn't use any of the China stuff. Luckily I'm just a hobbyist and work at it mostly to entertain myself. Fowler still sells this item for about $300. Found them used, eBay for $50 - $120, no case or ring gage.

Bought some ring gauges off eBay a while back. Good for practicing technique. I turn them over and measure them with snap gauges taking at least three measurements each, sometimes as many as 10. Multiple measurements tend to illuminate any flyers. Then I flip them over to see what they were supposed to be. After a little practice I'm within a tenth. To refine the measurement, I take the average.

anyone remember vacuum operated windshield wipers? they would slow down and speed up with engine speed.
Yes. I owned a '62 Rambler coupe for a few months. I was 16, didn't have much and couldn't keep it running.

I had a 1948 Chevrolet 3/4 ton (1600) pickup truck for over 20 years. It was the Deluxe model with the 5-window cab. The windshield wiper motor was a hybrid vacuum/electric unit. It normally ran on engine vacuum, but had a sensor diaphragm that would activate an electric motor driven vacuum pump on hard acceleration or when climbing hills. It had to be an expensive unit to build. I never quite understood why they didn't eliminate the vacuum portion and just go with an electric motor if they already knew the vacuum unit would need assistance.
Dang, now I do feel old for forgetting I drove a '49 1/2 ton 3 window. LOL, more rare because people kept the 5 window models. Had the old 216 splash oil for the crank. Which an idiot 17 yo managed to kill trying to drive 60 in LA. Young and dumb . . . or at least very ignorant.

Back