What Did You Buy Today?

I was given a 3 phase motor & motor controller from a machine being scrapped. The rest is very cheap.

The Redhead (who was with me when we visited Dave) asks--where in the shop will it go? She neither expected nor received an answer. It will fit.
So if all this will fit , can I expect another visit after this next one ? :grin: :big grin: You didn't mention the 7 Kennedy boxes . :eek:

I suspect all those parts, even scrounged, would cost more than the $610 (delivered) price of an American Rotary AR5. If I already had the motor, it would be different. Maybe.

I see VFD's in two categories--knockoffs that I'm not sure I really trust for this and name brands that aren't all that much cheaper than the RPC mentioned above.

The more I read about static converters, the less interested I am, and that wasn't my starting point in any case.

My lathe (2 HP South Bend 14-1/2) and my table saw (old Taiwanese Grizzly 3-HP) use single-phase motors, as do all my other (smaller) shop tools. So, notwithstanding that I'm tempting fate with this statement, I'm thinking there will only be one three-phase tool in my future. Even if I added one, however, there's only one of me, so only one tool at a time will be in use.

Rick "famous last words" Denney

Take it for what it is worth. I worked at a x shop that used static converters for its various 3-ph machines. Drill press, lathe, mill. We put one on the Hydraulic Press brake I sold them.

For certain machines, they were fine. Some had trouble.

The lathe was unusable in high speed. There was too much drag on the motor to start. In lower speeds, it was fine.

The press brake was not good fit either. Due to the nature of this particular brake, when you pressed the switch to move the blade down, you could keep foot switch on and it would continue pressing til you released the switch. This would bog down the hydraulic pump motor enough to where the static converter would try to restart the motor and made a bunch of racket.

So, if you expect the driven motor to experience some high torque either on start up, or at times when running, then a static converter isn’t the right tool for the job, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran a 10HP rotary when the shop was larger . The last mill and lathe ran off a 5HP with no issues . American 5HP would be a great choice . Even if he needed to run both machines at once ( which would be fun to watch ) , he could do this . 3 phase saws or other tools could easily be run with either the mill or lathe being only 2 HP . My first lathe was a 17" with 7HP . The 10 horse had no difficulty running the entire basement at once .

So if all this will fit , can I expect another visit after this next one ? :grin: :big grin: You didn't mention the 7 Kennedy boxes . :eek:

Checking on distance and Fallston is 11 hours. I’ll just stick to the 1 Kennedy that I have.

Back