What Did You Buy Today?

We went junking again today in a few antique stores.

I made 3 purchases... first was a Cole Tool drill press attachment for a Cole vise...

20240914_193159.jpg

Next, a Reed- Craftsman (Reedsman) 5180 vise...

20240914_193308.jpg

20240914_193332.jpg

20240914_193325.jpg

And last, a rough Prentiss Bulldog no.56 vise with a non-original handle and a badly broken slide...

20240914_192702.jpg

20240914_192709.jpg

I am planning to see if I can rebuild the slide... for no other reason than just for the learning experience. If it doesn't work out, I'll use it as a door stop...

-Bear

Brought home today for the price of driving 5 miles, load it on trailer, and bring it home. Now to clear a spot for it to unload it, hopefully in same condition I loaded it in.

Looks like it was made from cedar, probably 20 plus years ago. Guess I need to reroof it, and boom, extra storage shed.
0f2d0d00e2145a959fc58e43e784f761.jpg

400b8fcea6f097ca631c40ca520dbd9c.jpg

0e54199eb7bf70f923ab9a2b3003ba20.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to an Annual bicycle show, as per usual, Friday and Saturday.
(It's an arrive and pitch thursday then a few hours boozing, display friday up to around 5pm, boozing again friday night & display saturday with final boozing session saturday night, leave sunday thing)

On the Saturday, an auction is held to help rebuild the finances to keep the show running (cost of field, cost to hire chuck-wagon, basic cost of merchandise et-al amongst other "not so visible to the public" costs).

A 6" bench grinder was in the offing and was of interest to me, purely for the white stone. Hardly what you would expect at a bicycle show, but the auction always does have a surprise or two, the grinder being one, a set of air horns for a semi being another!

grinder is only 200w, but being the only bidder and only costing £10 (the opening bid), I was not going to argue. Can't buy a single grinding wheel for that, let alone two (I know who owned the grinder and how little it was used). I'm planning to remove the grinding wheels and fit the white grinding wheel to my other bench grinder. As for this grinder, I am planning to fit a wire wheel one side and a polishing wheel the other.

Attachments

• bg1.jpg
    bg1.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 15
  • bg2.jpg
    bg2.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 14
  • bg3.jpg
    bg3.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Haven't fetched it, haven't even paid for it. But the deal is done for Dave's ( @mmcmdl ) Bridgeport Series 1 2J2-head mill--the later 2-HP variable-speed head. Dave will know and I forgot to ask him, but the Mitutoyo DRO it comes with is an old simple Mitutoyo Digimatic that dates from the middle 90's, so that probably dates the mill, too. Accompanying goodies includes a full set of R8 collets, a 6" Kurt vise, a Jacobs chuck, a superspacer, a 2-1/2" insert face mill, hopefully one of those slitting saw arbors, and whatever else I can carry out of there faster than Dave can catch me.

The Redhead (who was with me when we visited Dave) asks--where in the shop will it go? She neither expected nor received an answer. It will fit.

So, can anyone confirm: Seems to me a 5-HP rotary phase converter should be sufficient. It's a bit cheaper than I was expecting it to be, and I think if I can swing it I'll prefer it to a static convertor or a VFD, especially given the infinitely variable speed of the spindle.

I have a mountain of travel coming up, so I'm not sure when I'll fetch it, but it will be as soon as possible.

Needless to say, I'm excited--a lathe without a mill is like a right arm without a left.

Rick "been waiting a while to be in this market" Denney

Seems to me a 5-HP rotary phase converter should be sufficient. It's a bit cheaper than I was expecting it to be, and I think if I can swing it I'll prefer it to a static convertor
You could always make one. If you can come by a used 5 or 7.5HP used 3 phase motor, some caps, timer relay, motor controller, 24 V transformer, momentary on + a momentary off push button switches & a box for the controls. 3 conductor light gage wire from the motor controller to the mill. You can use the same converter for multiple tools.

You could always make one. If you can come by a used 5 or 7.5HP used 3 phase motor, some caps, timer relay, motor controller, 24 V transformer, momentary on + a momentary off push button switches & a box for the controls. 3 conductor light gage wire from the motor controller to the mill. You can use the same converter for multiple tools.
I suspect all those parts, even scrounged, would cost more than the $610 (delivered) price of an American Rotary AR5. If I already had the motor, it would be different. Maybe.

I see VFD's in two categories--knockoffs that I'm not sure I really trust for this and name brands that aren't all that much cheaper than the RPC mentioned above.

The more I read about static converters, the less interested I am, and that wasn't my starting point in any case.

My lathe (2 HP South Bend 14-1/2) and my table saw (old Taiwanese Grizzly 3-HP) use single-phase motors, as do all my other (smaller) shop tools. So, notwithstanding that I'm tempting fate with this statement, I'm thinking there will only be one three-phase tool in my future. Even if I added one, however, there's only one of me, so only one tool at a time will be in use.

Rick "famous last words" Denney

Back