Solid tool post for 1130v?

I went out and cut a couple of threads at 90 degrees (straight in). Seemed fine. There was no chatter and a continuous chip came off nice and smooth. And since I'm new to this, my reduction in DOC as the cutting proceeded was a bit irregular, thus the amount removed was likely more than recommended at times. I did a couple of spring passes at the end and the result seemed good.
IIRC I read somewhere that the 30/29.5 threading solution was arrived at for early light duty lathes to keep the cut on the leading edge of the cutter and off the trailing edge to not over stress the compound causing chatter. Newer stronger lathes don't need to do this. I cut threads on my 1340GT straight in and never had a problem.

Do I ideally need to buy another AXA tool holder? Or is it trivially easy to swap one between the compound mount and the plinth mount?

Do I ideally need to buy another AXA tool holder? Or is it trivially easy to swap one between the compound mount and the plinth mount?

Naw. I swap it off. It doesn't take much to do that. Particularly if you have a speed handle on the QCTP and don't try to re-use the stud. Just make a new one.

Yikes. Looks like a 2.5"x6"x6" piece of 1018 steel is not cheap. Probably over $100 from my goto company and closer to $150 at most of the mail order places and McMasterCarr. A36 is about 2/3rds that price. Any downside to using A36?

EDIT: Looking at a bunch of online threads, I can see that 1018 may suffer from warping.

Some people don't like how A36 machines.

Last edited:
Metal prices have been shooting up. Frustrating. I can't think of any reason you would have problems with A36. I'm not an expert with different metals though. I would avoid any cold worked, that tends to leave stress in the metal that can cause the warping you mentioned. You might try looking for "stressproof", 1150? Not positive on the number. Don't go too nuts on material, it's a fancy spacer, it doesn't need to be anything too crazy.

Try watching ebay. There are a few sellers there that often have random drops. Sometimes you can get lucky with a piece like that. Someone here might have a piece they are willing to part with as well. I don't have anything that size.

You might try asking the foundry for this... https://www.patreon.com/posts/solid-toolpost-108954223 It looks like a nice casting, and you would have to flatten the top and bottom, but I expect you could adjust it to match your lathe. It might be more expensive, I don't know. Just another possibility.

A 6*6*2.5" piece of steel weighs about 25 lbs. I'd be looking at a steel yard for something like that. I have a place about an hour away that I can go to. They have a cut off area that you can pick through at reduced cost (if they have that size) or you have to pay list price and perhaps a cutting charge. The nicer the cut, the more you pay and the longer you wait. I'd try to call first to see if they'd accommodate you.

A few years ago I visited them and came home with about 200 lbs of cut offs. Think they changed me 75 cents a pound. Small quantities were priced at $1.50/lb, over 150lbs was priced at $0.75/lb. At the cheap price you load the steel yourself. Way cheaper than online and paying for shipping. The cut offs were typically flame cut so you need to accommodate that. I found the Haz zone was hard and required carbide or grinding. Once that was removed, it was clear sailing.

My yard also carries other metals, but they are primarily a steel supplier.

Don't know if this is an option for you, but have you looked into using 7075 aluminum? I've bought some surplus 7075 from a supplier on eBay. 7075 is quite strong and is lighter than steel. Machines easier as well.

Metal prices have been shooting up. Frustrating. I can't think of any reason you would have problems with A36. I'm not an expert with different metals though. I would avoid any cold worked, that tends to leave stress in the metal that can cause the warping you mentioned. You might try looking for "stressproof", 1150? Not positive on the number. Don't go too nuts on material, it's a fancy spacer, it doesn't need to be anything too crazy.

Try watching ebay. There are a few sellers there that often have random drops. Sometimes you can get lucky with a piece like that. Someone here might have a piece they are willing to part with as well. I don't have anything that size.

You might try asking the foundry for this... https://www.patreon.com/posts/solid-toolpost-108954223 It looks like a nice casting, and you would have to flatten the top and bottom, but I expect you could adjust it to match your lathe. It might be more expensive, I don't know. Just another possibility.
I think I'll go for the A36.

The casting would be nice, but the one James did is too small in all three dimensions. I might be able to reduce the length and width a bit, but height is an absolute requirement and ending up 5mm short would not be good.
A 6*6*2.5" piece of steel weighs about 25 lbs. I'd be looking at a steel yard for something like that. I have a place about an hour away that I can go to. They have a cut off area that you can pick through at reduced cost (if they have that size) or you have to pay list price and perhaps a cutting charge. The nicer the cut, the more you pay and the longer you wait. I'd try to call first to see if they'd accommodate you.

A few years ago I visited them and came home with about 200 lbs of cut offs. Think they changed me 75 cents a pound. Small quantities were priced at $1.50/lb, over 150lbs was priced at $0.75/lb. At the cheap price you load the steel yourself. Way cheaper than online and paying for shipping. The cut offs were typically flame cut so you need to accommodate that. I found the Haz zone was hard and required carbide or grinding. Once that was removed, it was clear sailing.

My yard also carries other metals, but they are primarily a steel supplier.

Don't know if this is an option for you, but have you looked into using 7075 aluminum? I've bought some surplus 7075 from a supplier on eBay. 7075 is quite strong and is lighter than steel. Machines easier as well.
My call to Garland (TX) Steel yielded a price of $130 for 1018 (~$5/lb). They used to have drops available, but I think their liability insurance put the kibosh on letting people pick thru them.

Strange to think that Texas is squeamish about people looking through drops. Up here, the drops are on racks, tables and the ground to look through. The drop area is outside and not all of it is covered. But that's what you get when it's sold near scrap value.

Heck, even in MA they have drop areas to pick through. Got to say I'm surprised that drops are restricted in TX and not here, didn't expect that.

I'm not surprised about the cut price of 1018, sounds in the ballpark.

Yikes. Looks like a 2.5"x6"x6" piece of 1018 steel is not cheap. Probably over $100 from my goto company and closer to $150 at most of the mail order places and McMasterCarr. A36 is about 2/3rds that price. Any downside to using A36?

EDIT: Looking at a bunch of online threads, I can see that 1018 may suffer from warping.

Some people don't like how A36 machines.
I won't need a hunk that large for my 7x16, and luckily my buddy had a 3"x3" 12L14 offset so I have a couple of 1-5/8" slices awaiting that project. CI would have been nice, but the 12L won't make as much mess.

Back