Slitting saw - how to choose

So, wanting a slitting saw i built a 3/4 arbor shaft for a collet and put this blade from harbor freight on it. it really didn't have and issue with 1/2" aluminum, and i even cut a slot, for fun, in 1" cold rolled. https://www.harborfreight.com/3-38-in-18t-toe-kick-circular-saw-blade-62401.html
Rpm was about 140. i am not sure about DOC in the steel, but i was cutting through the 1/2 aluminum at a slow feed rate

That's a cool idea. It may not have optimal geometry for metal cutting but as long as your set up is rigid and you feed slowly I guess it can't go too wrong.

After looking around the interscreen for a while I'm having trouble finding exactly the right saw for my situation. When they are correct thickness they are wrong diameter.

So what the deal with stacking blades to achieve a custom width? OK or sketchy?

After looking around the interscreen for a while I'm having trouble finding exactly the right saw for my situation. When they are correct thickness they are wrong diameter.

So what the deal with stacking blades to achieve a custom width? OK or sketchy?

I've been stacking blades for a very long time and haven't had any issues. You want to choose saws with a similar tooth count if you can and stagger the teeth so the points don't bear on each other. Then cut as usual. I have taken some deep cuts in most common shop materials like this. While it is always best to have the right saw, there are times when you just have to stack saws so you can get on with it.

To get the teeth to stagger properly you may have to leave out the key from the arbor?

I had no idea you could stack saws. Never even thought about that. I'll have to try that some time. Thanks

Ok, so the clamping of the nut is plenty to keep the blade from slipping.

Some of my saws have a key slot my my saw arbor doesn't. I have never had one slip, mine are 1" bores.

Do not climb cut. Lots of lube to clear the swarf. Smooth even feed. Run a test piece to get the feed feel, don't rush

Back