Need help identifying what are these tools used for

Amazon DRO I have this on both my Smithy 1324(don't judge) and my mill.

Get two DROs. You don't want to keep moving head units back and forth because you will have to calibrate the scales on each unit, and that is stored in the head unit.

if you can only afford one, Learn to use the dials on the lathe, DRO on the mill first.
Thanks a lot for your thoughts. ;)

-Tim, I'm sorry, I didn't realize your level of skill. Should have take some more time with you on the tooling.

The long scale is on the mill, behind the frame.

The round stock is ETD 150, 150,000# tensile strength, Made from scrap gas compressor piston rods. I still am a Tool and Die Maker. Still making tools.

Do NO remove the DRO from your mill, it will never be right again. The cross feed DRO the lathe may need a new battery. It worked fine...
Hi Tom, how are you doing, thanks for writing. I will do as you say :)

Last edited:
I hope your transition is going well. The members here are helping me a lot :)

Amazon DRO I have this on both my Smithy 1324(don't judge) and my mill.

Get two DROs. You don't want to keep moving head units back and forth because you will have to calibrate the scales on each unit, and that is stored in the head unit.

if you can only afford one, Learn to use the dials on the lathe, DRO on the mill first.
That link was awesome it had the option of custom length. Thanks a lot man :)

The member of this forum are the best.

I've been on forums where if they thought you were a hobbyist, they'd flame you off the forum.

Don't worry about leveling the lathe right away. Work it for a year, get to know what it can do with your help, then, if you're finding taper where it should be straight, look into leveling.

I've been well pleased with the PM products I've owned. I wish they made and sold wood-working machines in Europe.

Thanks will take it easy. You can get china machines there too. Somehow cheaper.

Hi guys,

The previous owner gave me gratuitously these tool with the lathe. Please can anyone chip in and help me out on what process are they used for. I can understand some of them but not all, and maybe I am wrong on what I belive I know so you thoughts are very much appreciated.
That is a nice variety of tools, I see everything from parting tools to knurling tools, a few boring bars etc...

Which one is popular nowadays? Budget friendly. Also I will need one for the milling machine so if I can move the unit from one to the other for a while it would be great given that I can get extra scales.
I would suggest 1 for each machine and I would also suggest using DRO's with of the same brand with the readouts and controls in the same locations, it will make things easier for you.

I would suggest 1 for each machine and I would also suggest using DRO's with of the same brand with the readouts and controls in the same locations, it will make things easier for you.
Yes that makes sense if one brakes the good parts become spare parts for the other.

Tim,

One of the many things I should have explained

Feed, moving the tool from right to left, toward the chuck,

(there are two dials on the left of the machine, down below some of the stuff)

The dial on the right changes the amount of cutting feed when the spindle is turning. (I think the other one changes direction of feed.)

With the knob turned counter clockwise, the tool advances .0025 per revolution of the chuck.

With the knob turned clockwise, the tool advances .005 per revolution of the chuck.

With the knob turned in the center, the tool advances .010 per revolution of the chuck.

The paper manual gives different feeds for different gears. This setup above is probably the most used.
The option for changing gears allows you to make different threads than the ones that accompany the feed rates that the lathe is set up for, .0025, .005 and .010. My memory doesn't cover what threads accompany that gear set up.

Back