I need help identifying a screwdriver bit type (similar to Phillips)

I don't care what you call 'em, they oughtta be outlawed. :cool:

@Jake M :laughing: There is always a jake about somewhere.. (long story for a different time)

Sorry but I have to disagree with you there. A lot of equipment has standard (slot) head screws/machine screws and with good reason. Never use a phillips or Pozi when a standard headed screw/ machine screw will suit better.

I don't care what you call 'em, they oughtta be outlawed. :cool:
Let’s say you’re working on something that has decades worth of paint on it or replacing a plank on a wooden boat where the screw heads are filled with caulking. Would you rather dig the paint or caulking out of a straight slot or a Phillips divot? Straight slots are far easier to clean out and if damaged, they can be recut. Try that with a Phillips or similar head.

Let’s say you’re working on something that has decades worth of paint on it or replacing a plank on a wooden boat where the screw heads are filled with caulking. Would you rather dig the paint or caulking out of a straight slot or a Phillips divot? Straight slots are far easier to clean out and if damaged, they can be recut. Try that with a Phillips or similar head.

Leo Goulden found out how easy it was to clean a standard screw at the beginning of the restoration of Tally Ho, which, at time of writing, should now be out undergoing "sea trials".

I’ve been watching the Tally Ho restoration since the beginning. Leo is an amazing craftsman. Just the amount of bronze in fasteners and castings is staggering.

I’ve been watching the Tally Ho restoration since the beginning. Leo is an amazing craftsman. Just the amount of bronze in fasteners and castings is staggering.

@David2011

I admit, I have watched from the first video. Always did love a wooden craft, but dayam, he has rebuilt that boat with a mindset of "bugger the cost, lets do this the right way" and the craftsmanship, the quality, the fit and finish really show. Everything has been done to an extremely high standard.

I heard (read?) somewhere that it is referred to as a "gold plater" rebuild. Not going to lie, I have no idea of the costs involved but I am willing to bet that it is nowhere south of £600k

Did you catch his video dealing with the "ship of thesius" theory? quite interesting!

I’ve spent so much time the past year making battleship gun parts that I’ve gotten behind on Tally Ho and Acorn to Arabella. I don’t recall the “ship of thesius" video. Was it fairly recent?

I think you’re right about the cost of the rebuild. The first foreshadowing was, I think, the container load of wood including the massive pieces of purpleheart for the stem, keel and sternpost.

Last edited:
I’ve spent so much time the past year making battleship gun parts that I’ve gotten behind on Tally Ho and Acorn to Arabella. I don’t recall the “ship of thesius" video. Was it fairly recent?

It was when the boat was still back at sequim (Squim)..... Ship of Theseus / Project Recap! (EP58)

As for A2A, stop watching that. Not through loss of interest, but due to other reasons which will be plain to see in the videos since launch.

Note: To be read with a sense of humor. I can’t help it. “Flat head screwdriver” is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. There’s no such thing as a flat head screwdriver if you think about it. What kind of screwdriver fits a round head screw?I

There is one such head, you know; it's called 'line head' and has a hemispheric head with six peripheral dimples.
To make a bit, I drilled six .035" holes in the end of a quarter-inch hexagonal stock, bored a depression on-center, and
filled the holes with hardened drill rod segments, grinding 'em flat.

It takes a good measuring microscope to get dimensions for drilling those holes.

There is one such head, you know; it's called 'line head' and has a hemispheric head with six peripheral dimples.
To make a bit, I drilled six .035" holes in the end of a quarter-inch hexagonal stock, bored a depression on-center, and
filled the holes with hardened drill rod segments, grinding 'em flat.

It takes a good measuring microscope to get dimensions for drilling those holes.

I think I may have seen those, almost an inverse torx style... Did you mean these per chance?

s-l960.png

Ever seen the clutch-head standard or Pozi security screws that can be screwed in, but not taken out? How about pan head screws that need a two pin bit?

We all know about security torx with the central pin and the same thing for socket head screws/bolts, not to mention "3 square" (which is 12 point to everyone else!!)

s-l960 (1).pngs-l1600.pngs-l1600 (1).png

Back