I need help identifying a screwdriver bit type (similar to Phillips)

Screws that have to be drilled out are the devil. That includes mangled Phillips head, and one way screws. They are a pain in the neck to deal with.

Screws that have to be drilled out are the devil. That includes mangled Phillips head, and one way screws. They are a pain in the neck to deal with.

Thats why I like the fact I own a dremel, cutting discs and thin tip grinding burrs/bits (amongst many other bits for the thing!).

Easy enough to make a groove to get a screwdriver into ;)

Thats why I like the fact I own a dremel, cutting discs and thin tip grinding burrs/bits (amongst many other bits for the thing!).

I have a Dremel as well. But I've busted more than my share of cutting discs. I'm acutely aware of what flying stuff can do to your face. To your point, a Dremel works as long as you have and can maintain a good position. Sometimes it's the only solution. If the steel is low grade, and over torqued, I find the fastener won't come out anyways and I still have to drill off the head. We have all experienced stubborn fasteners.

I got to experience a devil fastener just today. Rusted Phillips head screw, the indent was filled with solidified rust. Tried scraping it out, but not enough to fully insert the bit. The head started to strip. Out came the drill and drilled off the head. Replaced it with a stainless SHCS, because that is what I had. Of course, this all transpired outdoors in the blazing sun 93F with a dew point of 69F (better than this morning when it was 77F). My shirt was soaked from sweat. All the while, I was thinking about what I wrote this morning!

I was repairing an old shop vac from my father. Just bought a new hose for it (2.5" diameter). This shop vac has seen better days. Plastic bits are failing in a few places. The vac fought me all the way, all the fasteners were rusty. You'd think on a wet or dry vac they'd use stainless, nope.

Little screw from Hades. 8-32 (about 4mm diameter). I had to remove 3 of them to remove some leaves from an inaccessible screen. All rotted, but this one was the worst. Oh, I also had to remove 4 other screws to remove the leaves. Seemed kind of ridiculous to have to remove 7 screws to do a minor cleaning operation.
PXL_20240711_193224697.jpg
I have no idea why these were so rotted out.

This is most likely what it is, Reed and Prince used to be included in a good set of bits, I imagine R&P is obsolete by now.
The Reed and Prince company name doesn't apply any more, it's "Frearson" now; good wooden
boatbuilders use bronze Frearson screws with R&P screwdrivers.

Expect to pay about $30/hundred at Bolt Depot for bronze Frearson screws.

Back