(Used) Grizzly G0709 14x40 Ownership Thread

Base block done... just need to cut to length

IMG_4294.jpeg

IMG_4293.jpeg

Quick question, for those with one... is taper attachment something I should get?

Grizzly T10502 - Taper Attachment for G0709 Lathe

Taper Attachment G0709.jpg

I already missed out on the cool collect closer that was available years ago... my concern is that they stop having these available and then I am SOL for getting one...

And no, I do no have a specific project needing this... I just want to ask to validate if I should be looking at getting one...

Thanks!

Kind of a loaded question on this site - of course we're all going to say "you have to have a taper attachment"! I have one on my G0709 and use it very sparingly, maybe 5 or 6 times in 7 years. However, not having one when you need it is a bummer. Between the 5C collet closer, taper attachment and the DRO, I use the DRO most, 5C collets next, and the taper attachment the least. Caveat is I never use 5C collets on my G0709 because I have a Clausing lathe that has a 5C collet chuck on it all of the time. My "usage" of collets vs. DRO is based on how often I hop on the Clausing.

My install is below (you have a post on the thread). It's a bit of a kit to say the least. I recall paying around $400 for mine, now it's a real commitment at $760 plus shipping!?! Ouch!

Bruce

@BGHansen yes, DRO is first on the list... I have your thread bookmarked on that one... 5C, as you can see, I ended up getting the PM chuck for that...

And you are correct, I also bookmarked your thread on the taper attachment... man... what is it that they say that it is the first thing to go? I keep forgetting... :D

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm with BGHansen. I have a taper attachment on my Monarch 12"CK, as that's what came with it. I've used it once, but I could have just as easily used the compound. Only if you have a taper longer than your compound travel is the taper attachment a real win. Even there you can play games offsetting your tailstock, just saves you having to true it up again.

Last edited:
Back