(Used) Grizzly G0709 14x40 Ownership Thread

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Figured I would start a thread on this new-to-me Grizzly G0709 metal lathe I got on December 23rd, 2021.

It all started looking for a milling machine... and then seeing if I could also find a bigger lathe before the PM1236 arrived. Out of pure luck I found a machine shop selling both... I was able to buy both for a little more than I was paying for the new PM1236.

This lathe has less than 20 hours of use as it was their backup unit. They had three of these and one of the larger Grizzly lathes...

Build Date: 2014/08
Serial # 420265

IMG_3726.jpeg

IMG_3980.jpeg

Well, PM1236 ordered was cancelled... got the milling machine and a few days later went to pick up the lathe.

I needed a drop deck trailer to make it easy to unload at home... Could not find a larger one as everything was rented out. Somehow the seller managed to load it... Not the best way as it was in the back of the axle... I was fortunate that the shop I bought it from was only 26 miles away from my house. Slow driving got me home safely.

IMG_3774.jpeg

I stopped a few times to check everything was still secured and fine...

IMG_3775.jpeg

Once home, my son helped me getting it inside the garage... We had to remove the tag in the trailer to be able to unloaded with the pallet jack. Since the seller used a forklift, he just went over it... The pallet jack does not go that high so tag came off and we got it out.

IMG_3777.jpeg

IMG_3778.jpeg

IMG_3782.jpeg

Took the cover off and was inspecting everything to make sure it was all well after the move and unloading...

IMG_3784.jpeg

All the original plastic film were still on...

IMG_3785.jpeg

Missing was the thin black cover inside the lower select knob/dial

IMG_3786.jpeg

Last edited:
With the pallet jack I was able to move it against the wall... where I think it will be staying for a long time...

I was able to remove the lumber used by the seller and just place it over two 4"x4"s.... the other stacked 2"x4"s that you see in the photo are not doing anything... I had them and to keep them out of the way, I just slipped them under the lathe... I positioned the 4"x4" so that I could install leveling pads without having to get them out...

IMG_3843.jpeg

I am using the same outlet and plugs for the 220V in the garage... same type used in stoves... so I installed a plug and did a quick test to make sure everything was working... Pardon the silliness... deep down I am an immature child :D... I was just so excited to have it working in the house that night...

There is a lot of cleaning to do and I want to touch up the paint on a few parts... but I just wanted to leave it working that night...

It came with:

(1) 6" 3-Jaw chuck with reversible jaws
(1) 8" 4-Jaw chuck with independent jaws
(1) 11" face plate
(1) Steady rest/follow rest
(1) Quick change tool post with 2 tool holders
(2) MT#3 dead centers
(1) MT#3 live center - this one they just grabbed from a box... not turning great after inspecting it at home
(1) MT#5 - MT#3 sleeve
Pull out chip pan
1/2" drill chuck w/ MT#3 arbor

It is missing:

(1) That cover on that lower dial - Ordered from Grizzly today.
(1) MT#5 - MT#3 sleeve - Seller has it, just need to go back to get it
(1) Toolbox - I did get a few wrenches and the chuck key so not too worried about missing the actual toolbox
(1) MT#3 live center in good working order - I ordered one today from Precision Matthews
(1) MT#3 dead center carbide tipped

Ordered:

(6) Leveling pads from Precision Matthews
(1) MT#3 HD Live Center from Precision Matthews
(1) P07090434 - COVER PLATE from Grizzly
(1) P07090527 - HALF NUT ASSEMBLY from Grizzly - I just wanted a spare... lathe has less than 20 hours of use as it was the backup unit. They had three of these and one of the larger Grizzly lathes...
(1) P4003G0024 - DEAD CENTER MT#3 CARBIDE TIPPED from Grizzly

Some things I want to get later for it:

(1) 5-C Collect Chuck D1-5 - Will most likely get this one first from Precision Matthews
(1) ER-40 Collect Chuck D1-5 - Will most likely get this one first from Precision Matthews
(1) DRO - I was reading Bruce's thread... will most likely go with the same one he got...
(1) Taper Attachment - not sure if I will ever use this... so it is at the bottom of my list... but would be nice to have it...
(10) BXA Tool holders... Not sure if 10 or 20... just several for the few cutters that I currently have... I understand I will be adding more as time goes by...

I got some spray paint at the local Lowes... tested on a cover to see if it was a close match to the factory color... waiting for it to dry to see if it is...

IMG_3877.jpeg
IMG_3878.jpeg

First part I want to remove is the back splash to clean it and give it a new coat of paint.

I also need to check the flood coolant system... make sure all that is working.

But for now I will focus on cleaning everything on it... just to make it look pristine again.

I did clean the surface rust on the 4-jaw chuck... but I want to polish it back to looking like new... so not done with this one either...

IMG_3876.jpeg

Looks like you got a good deal.
I have the same model and I’m very happy with it. Only problems I’ve had were operator induced, (not going to talk about that).
Installed an import dro and I’m happy with that also. Sure helps in several ways.

Chuck

Back