(Used) Grizzly G0709 14x40 Ownership Thread

Very cool bug! What makes it go;) We have 66 stock sedan and 65 Baja plus a few others:<) Met my wife when I fixed her clutch cable on her then 65, when she lived across the street in Dana Point 41 years ago.

Wife learned to drive in a 60 or 61.
My wife does not get involved with my car projects... that is, until I got the VW Bug... She has been helping me redoing the interiors as she wants to drive it.

We are redoing everything in the interior... outside will remain as is... and I went over the whole drive train and also installed complete new wiring, lights, etc... Installed disc brakes in the front as well... It moves and stops great.

Seats were tired and frames were painted incorrect color for the year...

VW-1.jpeg

Took it all apart, painted the frames, and between the both of us we installed new foams and covers...

VW-3.jpeg
VW-2.jpeg
All set and ready to be installed once I am done with the headliner...
VW-4.jpeg
VW-5.jpeg

Only reason she let me get this one was because it was running... not like the other projects I have... so I had to promise her that anything I did to it had to be done and finished and not impede me from driving it...

Beautiful Bug. I had a high school sweetheart with one. The sweetheart part didn't last but the memories have for over 50 years now. Thanks for bringing them back. Dave

Very cool bug! What makes it go;) We have 66 stock sedan and 65 Baja plus a few others:<) Met my wife when I fixed her clutch cable on her then 65, when she lived across the street in Dana Point 41 years ago.

Engine is nothing special...

VW-9.jpeg

I did get a stock carburetor, a NOS oil bath air cleaner, stock rebuilt distributor... to somewhat make the engine bay look better... but those are still not installed. Everything is running fine as it is now and I just do not want to touch it for now...

VW-6.jpeg
VW-7.jpeg

I did changed all the seals on the windows and installed gaskets that would take the chrome trim... I also changed the rear side windows for ones that pop-out... Had to install shoulder seatbelts to stop from sliding all over the seats, lol...

I have to say... I have been tempted to swap engines... A friend gave me this rail with a new engine in it. Dual carburetors, 100+ hp... never used. Here is a video of it... After 12 years of sitting, I got it started... So maybe use that in the VW and use the engine in the VW to power the rail buggy... another project...

First start in 12 years... just putting some gas in the carbs...

And then after fixing the carburetor sync bar, and fixing the lines to the gas tank, adjusting carburetors, etc.

Last edited:
Get it running first, use the wife satisfaction points for engine swap later!

Get it running first, use the wife satisfaction points for engine swap later!
Absolutely!! I need to stop playing with the lathe and milling machine and finish the interior... that is the priority. We drive back to Ocala in a few days and the time will be spent finishing the headliner so I can finish installing all the panels and the rear glass with the new gasket and trim.

I moved the rail buggy from my friend's house to the house in Orlando... I really need that workshop space in Ocala. If I have to leave this house, in Orlando, for any reason, there is no way I am going to be able to fit all this carp in the house in Ocala without a workshop...

Oh yeah, that engine would be sweeet in that bug!! Nice rail too though....tough call! :eagerness: Keeping the wife happy is usually the best way to go, same story here with my wife's 66 Porsche 912 which I'm going through the engine on....full short block done by next weekend;)

Oh yeah, that engine would be sweeet in that bug!! Nice rail too though....tough call! :eagerness: Keeping the wife happy is usually the best way to go, same story here with my wife's 66 Porsche 912 which I'm going through the engine on....full short block done by next weekend;)
Are you sharing that in the 912 forum?... man, I need to do something to progress the build of my 912... I so want to drive that car... more than any of the others.

Not even funny how easily I get distracted...

Yes, I have been, but a little tardy as of late posting. Sometimes the critiquers get a little carried away so I'm careful as to what I post unless I'm absolutely sure first.
That should have read "long block" above, I think I spent 4 weekends in row getting the chamber volumes the same @ 62.25 cc's each, just like in your thread, a lot of work....I use your thread for reference a lot! I know what you're saying too, the last time this car drove was YEARS ago and I'm getting some heat from my other half as she wants to drive it again. Gees , now the tires are out of spec....that's how long! Next few months and it's going to GO! :grin big:

Back