(Used) Grizzly G0709 14x40 Ownership Thread

Some things I want to get later for it:

(1) 5-C Collect Chuck D1-5 - Will most likely get this one first from Precision Matthews

With this being a "gunsmith" lathe, I would have thought that the spindle bore was large enough for a 5C setup natively.

With this being a "gunsmith" lathe, I would have thought that the spindle bore was large enough for a 5C setup natively.

Can you further explain to a newbie? That means I do not need to buy that chuck?

I saw in this thread where @BGHansen was able to use/adapt model H5948 5C closer... but those do not seem to be available anymore...

6C1A0EA0-3A78-4FBA-A35E-D6FB72D11CE8.jpeg

Last edited:

You got me searching...

I see that this person used Grizzly P4026001 - Collect Adapter , Grizzly P4026004 Draw Tube, Grizzly P4026047 Collect Adaptor Pin 3x6, and a 1.875 X 8" aluminum round bar stock to make the end piece...

The first collect adapter had some unwanted runout and Grizzly replaced it... he mentions that on a 3rd video...

So there is not bolt-on solution... and I do not have the skills right now to do what he did... Just the parts from Grizzly is 204.00 then I need to add the cost of the aluminum stock and the work needed to modify the parts.

This is why I was thinking that getting the D1-5 5-C Collect chuck was easier for me to do... It is 345.00 shipped from Precision Matthews.

But I had not seen this option of a direct collect adapter... so thank you for calling that out!

Last edited:
Grizzly has an MT5-5C collet adapter listed in their parts list. With that adapter and some 1.50" x 7/32" wall DOM, an enterprising lathe owner could create his very own hand wheel collet closer.

Grizzly has an MT5-5C collet adapter listed in their parts list. With that adapter and some 1.50" x 7/32" wall DOM, an enterprising lathe owner could create his very own hand wheel collet closer.
That is the adapter the guy in the videos used…

I posted the links to the parts as well…

I need to think more about this… At my skill level today, I can’t do it…. Need more experience before I can tackle it…

Maybe I should get the adapter and the rest of the parts for when I am ready…

Maybe I should get the adapter and the rest of the parts for when I am ready…

It's by far the most critical part of a 5C setup. There are two tapers and they have to be concentric with each other. I would get the adapter now (unless Grizzly is wanting its weight in gold for it) and hold on to it until I got the skills I need to fab a collet set. If you want to do a thru the spindle set, I would also start trying to find some 1.50" x 7/32" wall DOM tubing now. Check with Alro Metals (you should have a local outlet) about having it shipped from the stock location to your outlet - they'll ship it to their outlet location on their trucks for free.

Sweet! Scary trailer ride though. Is that a bug behind the lathe in some those photos?
Pierre

Sweet! Scary trailer ride though. Is that a bug behind the lathe in some those photos?
Pierre
We took it easy and stopping often to check everything. It was a scary ride, but all went well thankfully.

And yes, that is a '61 Bug

IMG_3848.jpeg

Back