(Used) Grizzly G0709 14x40 Ownership Thread

I have one on my Seneca Falls Star and I've really only used it once.

But....

It's a nice thing to have for when it's needed and I'm kinda funny about having as many factory options as possible. I bought a full set of collets for the Star with draw bar, not that I really needed them just because they came available and I could afford them. The thing is, if I ever go to sell my tools I know the next owner will be stoked with factory accessories.

John

Well, this is something I have had in the back burner since getting those handles from McMaster... I needed a small spacer to make the handle work as it should... I had some leftover spacers from another project. Perfect fit but needed to drill and cut to size...

IMG_8007.jpeg

IMG_8002.jpeg
IMG_8004.jpeg

5/16" hole...

IMG_8005.jpeg

I was feeling optimistic and decided to try my first parting on this lathe... square this... make sure everything is as rigid as possible... minimal stick out on the cutter... lubricant... plunge away...

IMG_8006.jpeg

Ha! That great feeling of "goodness, I did not break anything!"

IMG_8008.jpeg

Yeah... that will work...

IMG_8009.jpeg
IMG_8010.jpeg

Done! Now it locks as it should...

IMG_8011.jpeg

Man... I need to do something to protect the machines from my sweat... I know we are not supposed to use long-sleeve shirts... but thinking of getting some of those moisture-wicking performance t-shirts for working with these machines.

I noticed in the previous photos that the chuck has surface rust... this is from my sweat falling on it while working... last night!!

Cleaned everything, some 3M pad to the rescue and oiled everything again...

IMG_8031.jpeg

I also want to see if I can replace that halogen lamp with the new LED lamps that comes in the newer Grizzly lathes... This halogen lamp runs hot as heck... I can do without the additional heat...

IMG_8033.jpeg

Man... I need to do something to protect the machines from my sweat... I know we are not supposed to use long-sleeve shirts... but thinking of getting some of those moisture-wicking performance t-shirts for working with these machines.

Get a fan (or two) and aim them right at your face from about 10 feet away. It helps to keep the sweat from beading up and dripping off.

I feel your pain.

Well, this is something I have had in the back burner since getting those handles from McMaster... I needed a small spacer to make the handle work as it should... I had some leftover spacers from another project. Perfect fit but needed to drill and cut to size...

View attachment 420721

View attachment 420720
View attachment 420722

5/16" hole...

View attachment 420723

I was feeling optimistic and decided to try my first parting on this lathe... square this... make sure everything is as rigid as possible... minimal stick out on the cutter... lubricant... plunge away...

View attachment 420724

Ha! That great feeling of "goodness, I did not break anything!"

View attachment 420726

Yeah... that will work...

View attachment 420727
View attachment 420728

Done! Now it locks as it should...

View attachment 420729
Good job! I like that. Think I will have to do something like that. It's an unnecessary pain fooling around with the Allen wrenches for this.

Good job! I like that. Think I will have to do something like that. It's an unnecessary pain fooling around with the Allen wrenches for this.
Oh, sooo much better. Not my idea... I borrowed that from others here that have done the same.

Get a fan (or two) and aim them right at your face from about 10 feet away. It helps to keep the sweat from beading up and dripping off.

I feel your pain.
I was lazy... I have a new fan that arrived last week and was still in the box. Did I put it together before doing this task? Nooooooo...

Setup now for the next time I work.... I will get a second one to place next to the milling machine... moving this one around will get old quickly...

IMG_8035.jpeg

I also noticed that one of the D1-5 locking thingys was not locking... Removed the chuck and one of the studs was out too much. Fixed and checked the rest of the studs... sure enough, two more were a bit too high (but those locked fine). All corrected and set to the same height and now they all lock correctly.

Last edited:
Oh, sooo much better. Not my idea... I borrowed that from others here that have done the same.

I was lazy... I have a new fan that arrived last week and was still in the box. Did I put it together before doing this task? Nooooooo...

Setup now for the next time I work.... I will get a second one to place next to the milling machine... moving this one around will get old quickly...

View attachment 420795

I also noticed that one of the D1-5 locking thingys was not locking... Removed the chuck and one of the studs was out too much. Fixed and checked the rest of the studs... sure enough, two more were a bit too high (but those locked fine). All corrected and set to the same height and now they all lock correctly.

I got a pair of wall mounted fans off of Amazon, I think they are 16" so probably the size of that floor standing fan, or maybe a touch smaller. Don't recall what I paid but well under $100 for the pair and they take up none of my valuable floor space. I leave them running all the time in the winter to keep air moving in the damp season. Just when needed during the summer.

I got a pair of wall mounted fans off of Amazon, I think they are 16" so probably the size of that floor standing fan, or maybe a touch smaller. Don't recall what I paid but well under $100 for the pair and they take up none of my valuable floor space. I leave them running all the time in the winter to keep air moving in the damp season. Just when needed during the summer.

That is a great idea... I will hold off on buying a second one...

So I will do the same once the shop is built and I move the stuff out of the garage... I can then decide where in my garage I will have the lathe and the mill... Right now they are just out of the way of a car going in and out... The mill and lathe are not going to be move to the workshop... I want these in the single bay in the garage... I already have plans to install some clear thick shower curtains to minimize chips coming into the two-bay side...

All chucks etc will develop a patina over time.
If you want them to maintain their new look, get some Camellia oil mixed with beeswax and rub that in. That'll maintain your bling factor.

All chucks etc will develop a patina over time.
If you want them to maintain their new look, get some Camellia oil mixed with beeswax and rub that in. That'll maintain your bling factor.
Bling is great and all, :D :p.... I just want to avoid rust!!

Back