Splat's new Heavy 10

Pics?! What is this, Miss America Lathe pageant?! ;) j/k Actually, I did take some pics but they're on my phone and I'm too tired to go get it and u/l them. Tomorrow. Well G-man, I got the end gear off the spindle finally. Used a 32mm socket that I milled down to about 1/2" height so I could get my gear puller over it and get the arms under the gear. The spindle's pretty clean, the insides of the cone and the bearings look good.

Greg (and of course anyone else that'd care to chime in), did you replace that thin metal washer that sits between the take-up nut and the rear expander with a thrust bearing? IIRC guys have done that but I don't know if that pertained to certain makes/years of the H10...

Glad you got her off. No I did not replace the washer, it was in good shape and I set the end play to .001 with an indicator. I have heard of guys doing the bearing upgrade and I think I would have had room for it as there is a gap between the take up nut and the gear, the bearing probably would have fit with the extra space left after centering the gear. And I don't want to hear any excuses about pics either.:worthless: LOL

Last edited:
It's me Bernie: I said let the suede side of the belt run against the pulley. The suede side against the pulley is grooved a little to lift the copper wire away from the pulley so it doesn't click as the belt goes around. Do not groove the hair(smooth) side. That is where the strength of the leather is.

It's me Bernie: I said let the suede side of the belt run against the pulley. The suede side against the pulley is grooved a little to lift the copper wire away from the pulley so it doesn't click as the belt goes around. Do not groove the hair(smooth) side. That is where the strength of the leather is.

Thanks George

I am in the process of finding some actual lard (as opposed to vegetable shortening) to treat this belt, as it has been slipping. I read on a thread on PM that a warm mixture of 1 part cod liver oil to two parts lard to the contact side of the belt.
I am surprised how hard it is to find the animal lard! What, is the world on a health kick? XD

LARD???? I hope that works,bernie. I use a spray can of "Beltraction". Are you sure the lard wasn't intended to soften an old,dried out,cracking belt? I just can't imagine lard inducing traction.

I'm with George on this one. I think the lard would just be for keeping the leather soft and prevent cracking. If used on a belt I would expect it to make is more slippery not less.

-Ron

LARD???? I hope that works,bernie. I use a spray can of "Beltraction". Are you sure the lard wasn't intended to soften an old,dried out,cracking belt? I just can't imagine lard inducing traction.

Thanks George

As illogical as it sounds, two different people posted this to make the leather more supple again, hopefully giving more grip.
You are the first guy to suggest a product like that! I will look it up now!
I have a urethane backed leather belt that really should be good once I can increase that actual grip

Thanks man!

Bernie

- - - Updated - - -

Not trying to hijack your thread Splat.... :)

Thanks George

As illogical as it sounds, two different people posted this to make the leather more supple again, hopefully giving more grip.
You are the first guy to suggest a product like that! I will look it up now!
I have a urethane backed leather belt that really should be good once I can increase that actual grip

Thanks man!

Bernie

- - - Updated - - -

Not trying to hijack your thread Splat.... :)

I was gonna say....did I miss something here? :) No worries. BTW, I looked up that Beltraction and can't find anyone selling it. MOF, from what I found it appears to not be made anymore....

Back