Splat's new Heavy 10

:) Actually I did get the book and the felt set and I'm glad I did. At least you did the spindle but you really should go over everything if you can. When I first started this I was amazed how much swarf and gunk was everywhere inside the QCGB which was the first part I refurbished. If you can do the rest of your machine then besides knowing it inside and out you'll feel one helluva sense of accomplishment and pride in what you accomplished. It's not really that complicated, just time consuming. Just do it, man! :)

+1 on all that.

I absolutely will- but right now I am happy to get my machines all up and running again! This week, tonight specifically, for the first time in four years (storage after divorce), I can say that I have all my machines powered, and can again take up the project of knocking the kinks out as I left off years ago...

I it is finally sinking in that I can get back to work! 8 )
I think I should update my "hello" post from January.

Bernie

+1 on all that.

The book is great and we are fortanate that someone is selling just the right wick kit we need for our old lathes. The only thing that scares me about the wicks, is did I do them right? And.. when I finally get my lathe done, are they doing their job? Kind of like the refrigerator light.. how do I know it's working when the door's closed?? :thinking:

But.. Even without the right lubrication, the apron will out last me. :)
You go Splat!!

Last edited:
Splat, I sent you a pm about the shims. I gotta go back in the shop and work on a wood turners hollowing chisel for a customer, I'll check back later.
Greg

Last edited:
Not sure how I missed this thread! It's a little late, but I think the price you paid was quite fair....you could sell the 220v motor and recoup some money too!

The lathe looks to be in very nice condition....you probably could have gotten away without painting it eve, but I understand the "ritual" of going through it and making it yours...been there many times.

Congrats on the new lathe!

Looking good Splat!
keep the posts coming, we want details!:lmao:

Hey Greg, Bernie, and everyone. I've been away from the lathe for what seems like forever due to having to fix up my sister's house. It seems like when one thing goes and you get that fixed something else breaks .....the fun doesn't stop. ;) So last night I returned to my H10. I'm removing any extra paint on the headstock parts I might've got on where it doesn't belong.. Tonight I hope to get the headstock on and start piecing her back together. It feels good to be working on the lathe again. :thumbsup:

Back