Splat's new Heavy 10

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well guys I found an old SB Heavy 10 CL187Z for sale, $1200. He states he got it in working condition and seems to work fine now but he never supposedly learned how to use it so doesn't know much. The lathe was passed down to him last year. He says he had tooling for it but cannot find it so as of right now what is pictured is what buyer will get. I asked seller to send me some pics of the ways. Can this beast be disassembled to move it? Neither I nor the seller has a forklift, or lift of any kind to get it into my truck.

I tried to figure out from the Web how much it should be going for. If anyone can inform me how much they figure it's worth and any specs (spindle hole size, metric threading?, etc) on it I would greatly appreciate it. Here's some pics of it:

SB1.jpgSB2.jpgSB3.jpg

SB1.jpg SB2.jpg SB3.jpg

Re: Help on Used SB Heavy 10L

Probably not much help from me--but I would think you should be able to disassemble it enough to get it in your truck, may take a while but I know you could do it:biggrin:

I also think that would be a excellent price if it were in south Texas--maybe not great where you are but a decent price.

Since you already have a truck you could easily go to a "rental" type place and get an engine lift/crane that could handle it. Just be careful as it is a very "unbalanced" load.

The price doesn't seem bad for a machine in that kind of shape (depending on the ways) and a real bonus if he turns up the tooling/extras.

Hope this helps,

-Ron

Thanks guys. I take it being this is old American machinery it won't do metric threading? I'm trying to find specs on this lathe but no luck yet. Anyone know the size of the hole thru spindle? I'm waiting for the seller to send me the serial #. Maybe that'll get me somewhere.

It will do metric threading with a set of transposing gears, I had a set but sold them a year or so back. I see them on ebay sometimes. The spindle bore is 1-3/8 as I recall.:thinking:

Update: Seller doesn not have 220 so I won't be able to experience this lathe running. Is it possible to move the gearing and clutch while the unit is not moving and how hard should it be to move them? Thanks guys.

The more I think about this I'm leaning towards not going for it. (1) No 220V so can't test run the machine; (2)I've relatively no lathe experience but have made a checklist of what to look for but I'm sure I'll miss something; (3) gonna be a PITA to move it into the van so I'd have to disassemble as much as I can; (4) seller supposedly knows nothing about the lathe because it was passed down to him; (5) no tooling; (6) I don't have 220v 3 phase so would have to either buy or build a phase convertor or buy a new 110V or 220V single phase motor...

VERSES

driving to Grizzly and having them forklift a G0602 or G9972Z into my van and worrying about getting it into my basement when I get home with a brand new lathe.

I'd rather have old American iron but with all these variable against me it's looking like I should go to Grizzly. What say you guys? Anybody in central or northern NJ wanna take a ride up to Sussex with me to check out this SB lathe?:p :biggrin:

Here's a few pics of the ways the seller sent me.

south bend 001.jpgsouth bend 002.jpgsouth bend 003.jpg

south bend 001.jpg south bend 002.jpg south bend 003.jpg

It looks to be in very good condition (never can tell though). If you could get him down to $900 it would be a very good deal. The only thing that would sway me would be the bed length, it looks pretty short. good luck! It also looks to be on a dolly, so if you could get a nice low trailer and a winch or come along, it should be an easy move.

:+1: Not much I can add to that. The bed length will be as long or longer than many machines you can buy at a greater price and is also a personal preference. I have a longer bed length but my through-hole is only 7/8" so I needed the bed length to do anything of length. A larger through-hole. what is most likely on this one, wouldn't limit you as much.

-Ron

Well, the metal placard on it shows 36, but does that indicate the bed length or the between centers length?

Back