Splat's new Heavy 10

Re: Heavy 10 Cross Feed Oiler/Screw for nut?

Took some time but finally got the apron done. It's such a beautiful thing seeing parts all cleaned up, ain't it? :) So moving onward to the saddle now and I already see two weird things.

There's supposed to be an oiler port or grease fitting (spring loaded ball type?) and screw of some kind in the saddle in front of the cross feed/compound. It would be #44 & 45 on the diagram I attached. On mine it's a simple cap screw that goes all the thru the saddle to secure the crossfeeed nut. Am I right that I'm missing something (oiler?) or should I leave it or...? :confused:

Here's WoodtickGreg's photo and you can see the port I'm talking about.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41671&d=1350947750

(EDIT) I ain't gonna worry about it. I'll have to remember to carefully remove the screw, add oil, then put screw back in and that should be fine. I could get a grease/oil fitting from Mcmaster but don't know if it'll be long enough to reach the crossfeed nut.

Thats just a fancy hollowed out screw with a small removable allen screw in the center. Serves two purposes.. the hollowed out screw holds the crossfeed nut tight and the removable allen screws allows you to drop oil on the crossfeed screw, which is important, but if you have a little patience, you could hollow out a screw yourself and find a plug for it.. I am getting mine together too. I just ordered a new crossfeed nut.

Re: Heavy 10 Cross Feed Oiler/Screw for nut?

Thats just a fancy hollowed out screw with a small removable allen screw in the center. Serves two purposes.. the hollowed out screw holds the crossfeed nut tight and the removable allen screws allows you to drop oil on the crossfeed screw, which is important, but if you have a little patience, you could hollow out a screw yourself and find a plug for it.. I am getting mine together too. I just ordered a new crossfeed nut.

Agreed that it serves 2 purposes, holding the cross feed nut tight, and allowing access to oil the cross feed screw. Splat, if you can get one I would replace it since you have gone this far with the restore. Make it right, imo. When I did mine I had about .030" of backlash in the cross feed screw due to the screw that holds the nut tight was loose, when everything was tightened up on re assembly there is only about .006' of back lash now. Replace the screw with the correct parts and keep it right. imo.

Re: Help on Used SB Heavy 10L

Thanks guys. I'll whip one up on the mill. BTW, I did buy new nuts for compound and crossfeed. :)

Yep. Ted's helped me out in the past. Thanks.

Just got done making that screw-within-a-screw (we'll call it the special bolt) for the crossfeed nut. Used a 3/8" socket head screw, drilled down the middle with a #29 drill and threaded it 8-32 for a flathead screw that acts as the oil port.

Now here's an interesting thing....... Why have this special bolt to facilitate getting oil down to the crossfeed shaft if there's no hole in the brass nut? It's kinda hard to see but the top threaded hole for the "special bolt" doesn't have a hole at the bottom so oil can get to the crossfeed shaft. WTH? Shouldn't there be one in there?

cfnut.jpg

Just got done making that screw-within-a-screw (we'll call it the special bolt) for the crossfeed nut. Used a 3/8" socket head screw, drilled down the middle with a #29 drill and threaded it 8-32 for a flathead screw that acts as the oil port.

Now here's an interesting thing....... Why have this special bolt to facilitate getting oil down to the crossfeed shaft if there's no hole in the brass nut? It's kinda hard to see but the top threaded hole for the "special bolt" doesn't have a hole at the bottom so oil can get to the crossfeed shaft. WTH? Shouldn't there be one in there?

Maybe yours is aftermarket? There indeed should be a hole through there. The hole in mine is big enough to see threads.. about 3/16.

EDIT----------

Don't know if the hole is the right size.. I have a NOS one coming, so I can find out for sure.

Last edited:

Maybe yours is aftermarket? There indeed should be a hole through there. The hole in mine is big enough to see threads.. about 3/16.

EDIT----------

Don't know if the hole is the right size.. I have a NOS one coming, so I can find out for sure.

Actually, you're right Chuck. The brass nuts are aftermarket. I got them from Largevise/Jayhawk Machinetool on Ebay. I put an 3/16" hole into the nut and all is well.

Vent time.... I hate it when machine/tool owners simply paint everything because it's the easiest way to do things. :angry: Cleaning up the saddle now and my Heavy 10's PO got paint just about everywhere. Only good thing is when it's done right ...as I'm trying to do, it all looks 100 times better when I get done. :)

Actually, you're right Chuck. The brass nuts are aftermarket. I got them from Largevise/Jayhawk Machinetool on Ebay. I put an 3/16" hole into the nut and all is well.

Vent time.... I hate it when machine/tool owners simply paint everything because it's the easiest way to do things. :angry: Cleaning up the saddle now and my Heavy 10's PO got paint just about everywhere. Only good thing is when it's done right ...as I'm trying to do, it all looks 100 times better when I get done. :)

I'll tell you what.. I would rather have protective paint to remove instead of rust. :)) You're going to hit every spot anyway, right?

The oem part, if you can find it more pricey than the in house made. Depends who made it, could be as good or better.

You guys know that feeling when you've completed cleaning and painting a piece, then reassembling it and all is well.........until something goes stupidly wrong?! :angry: I had one of these moments today. I got the carriage all done and started putting it back onto the H10. I go to install the clamp shoes and screws into the compound rest and one of the screws isn't going in right.. like a fool I kept turning/tightening the one screw and said, "Something ain't right.." Yeah, understatement. I buggered the first 2 threads in the hole. :cussing: I don't know what the hell I was thinking...but now I have a buggered thread so what to do...... I thought about tapping for 1/2" which would be the next size up but I think I'm going to Helicoil it. I've never used Helicoils before so it'll be a learning experience but I've tapped before so hopefully won't be that nerve racking. Gotta wait until Monday since nobody around here has the kit in stock. Everything was going good too.... so I'm leaving everything alone and will start on the headstock tomorrow. It's Miller time. :drink: Hope you guys had a better day than me.

Back