Splat's new Heavy 10

Re: Help on Used SB Heavy 10L

Normal practice is to specify length between centers.

Normal practice is to specify length between centers.

That's how I've known it, too, but the bed in the pics looks a tad short for a 36", no? Maybe an optical illusion... :thinking:

Just found out the guy who the seller got it from had it repainted. He didn't like the original color. Who knows what that entails.....

Normal practice for South Bend is not the distance between centers ,but rather it is the length of the bed.
Bobby

I remember hearing that about SB lathes before, now that you mention it, Bobby. I had forgotten. I'm not a big South Bend guy.

Thanks Bobby. So between centers it could be between 26"-28".....? That's what it looks like to me, but I'm deaf in both eyes. :p

Seller was finally able to find the serial #. Can anyone give me a guesstamation on the year of build for 9233RKL14 ? Thank you.

I hope this helps a little I have come up with around 1957 for 9233R L10 and the
next run of #9,000s would be 1962 but for a 10K. I forget when but I think 1947 they
changed serial no. system. Myself I would buy it wave the green stuff and then as
noted just lighten the load. If you do not have 220vac Id just leave the motor there
it will run fine on any 110. And the last time I had to load a machine, I just scoped
out or ask around good place is auto repair for a ramp truck. Found one and hey buddie
want a quick $25-winch on flat bed, tilt bed- right in my truck 10 minutes. Some
planks, pipe and roll it right in. In general is a good all around lathe. I am sure every
body roams around on Ebay, looks like all of a sudden prices shot up like double, even
some with no quick change box???? and usually 5 million miles away. Now here is my
story, a freind asked my to check out a lathe he got, its before the telephone, but
I forget about the lathe its 9x42 J Bridgeport that got me, he said ya I got two for
nothing just get them out, sold other for $1500 again I snooze I lost.

What's the word Splat? I am following your epic lathe saga with baited breath... What will he buy? How far is he willing to go?? How the heck is he going to move the thing???? :lmao::lmao:

Tell me about it! I'm waiting to see what happens too! :p:biggrin: Now I see a Logan 10x24 on Ebay here that I'm thinking of bidding on. No quick change gear box though but looks in really nice condition.

I'm with you buddy, I actually bought a very similar lathe that somebody had stashed in their backyard in the desert. I paid $500 and never got to see it run. I didn't have to load though (plenty o tweakers looking for something to do in the desert ;)) Not sure what I'm going to do with it, I may take it apart to clean it up and that will help lighten the load for unloading. That lathe you posted looks pretty good, I would definately buy it for $1000, comes with a nice chuck too! the bed is a little short though... Definately 36" end to end, mines 4' but badly worn. Some pics:

Oofah... yeah, maybe you could part it out....? I don't know..

Last edited:

Well, it's not so bad, I just sold it for twice what I paid for it! :biggrin: Go get that 10L already!!

No kidding?! Good on ya, man! :thumbzup: I don't have that luck. I'm thinking about the 10L. There is no tooling coming with it if I do get it so don't know if it's worth the $1200 he's asking. I already have a PhaseII wedge type AXA set so at least there's that and the chuck it has. If it's in decent condition we shall see.....

BTW, I haven't been able to find the answer to my question of.... it states a 36" bed length so what does that equate to between centers on South Bends like this Heavy 10?

Back