Splat's new Heavy 10

Re: Help on Used SB Heavy 10L

After some gentle persuading "the Boss" let me put the H10 into my basement shop. :phew: What a PITA getting it down stairs. I rented a 2ton engine crane for $40 and it was worth it. I got everything into the basement myself, with the exception of the bed with headstock and chuck still on it (couldn't get damn chuck off no matter what) which my brother helped me with. Even with two somewhat big guys it was a job going thru the Bilco and down 5 concrete steps. I didn't want to pull the headstock and have to realign it even though it would'a lightened the load considerably. I'll post pics after I clean up the area. Gonna go return the crane now.
I've done enough exercise for a day or two. :p Tonight I'll have a few with my brother. :drink:

I'm guessing she figures she can keep a better eye on you if you're in the house. :lmao: :lmao: I'm glad you have things worked out and can make chips in comfort. I have a warning for you though, "Do NOT start tracking chips upstairs!!!" Trust me on this one. :p :biggrin:

-Ron

Splat,

Early in this thread you had some concerns regarding powering your lathe. Did you get those figured out? I ran my 10L for years with a 1.5hp 110V motor until I finally got a three phase converter and put the original motor back in. To run a single phase motor some time ago I went through the wall and tapped into the 220 powering the laundry dryer. Most panels on the side of the house generally have one or two open slots. I added a 100amp breaker to mine when I acquired the 15kW phase converter that now runs the whole shop. There's always a way. I currently have a 16" Bradford lathe and a 16" South Bend, but my 10L toolroom is my little workhorse. You're gonna love it.

Regards,
Jeremy

Early in this thread you had some concerns regarding powering your lathe. Did you get those figured out?

Hey Jeremy. I don't have it hooked up yet because I'm still refurbing my 10L but I believe I have it figured out. I bought this 1-phase 110v to 3-phase 220v convertor. It's highly regarded so I went with it. I thought of dropping off a 220v from my panel which is only about 15' away from the lathe but I figured it'd be easier to just get the convertor.

I ran my 10L for years with a 1.5hp 110V motor until I finally got a three phase converter and put the original motor back in. To run a single phase motor some time ago I went through the wall and tapped into the 220 powering the laundry dryer. Most panels on the side of the house generally have one or two open slots. I added a 100amp breaker to mine when I acquired the 15kW phase converter that now runs the whole shop. There's always a way. I currently have a 16" Bradford lathe and a 16" South Bend, but my 10L toolroom is my little workhorse. You're gonna love it.

100A breaker? Ooofah! "There's a couple of nasty switches over there but I won't be the first." :biggrin: That must be a nice sized shop. How big's the shop?

Young Frankenstein! Classic Peter Boyle (Gene Wilder too)!

My shop takes up our three car garage until my wife lets me move back out to the sticks where I can spread out a little. The phase converter required the 100A circuit. That TECO unit you bought looks promising, and it has a rheostat. You'll have to let us know how what you think of it. The price is right.

Regards,
Jeremy

Splat, I just found this thread on your 10L find and journey. The lathe you have found is in better cosmetic condition than the one I found and I didn't get a chuck! Interesting read though, I remember taking mine all apart to move it also. Taking it apart was easy, moving it was a pita! The pedestal base is heavy even without the motor in it. Sounds like you have made good progress on yours, as I am having fun on mine! It'll be fun to watch each others progress on these jewels. Lots of elbow grease and a labor of love.

....and now the rebuild!

Figured I'll continue this thread on my ongoing rebuild of this Heavy 10. I bought the lathe last summer and started to rebuild it but then things happen and priorities get straightened out quickly. The lathe took a back seat until a few weeks ago. Let's see here.... the stand/motor compartment, chip pan and legs, lathe bed (except ways of course), tailstock, and QCGB were all cleaned and painted last summer. The only good thing about 100ºF+ temps is if painting outside it will dry fast. :) Oh, I forgot about the VFD! DOH! I obtained a JNEV-101-H1 from http://dealerselectric.com and installed it into a big NEMA box I had along with toggle switches for on/off, for/rev rotation, a speed dial, and an LED idiot light so I know when it's energized. :p I fabricated a mounting arm to hold the box using some old cymbal stand parts I had laying around. See what I'm saying here. Don't ever let your sig/other tell you it's junk! You never know when you can use it! :D

So the latest is I just got done cleaning and doing the first coat on the apron but it won't be dry till Friday. After that it's the compound and then the headstock. Wish I took more pics along the way but it wouldn't be as cool as WoodtickGreg's. Here's what she looks like now.

IMG_2185.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

Splat, it is cool, very cool. Keep posting pics as you go, she's looking good. It's kinda funny, I just reread this whole thread and it reminded me of when I found mine and how very little I knew about it when I got it. Your questions where very similar to mine. We just kinda figure it out as we go right? No one should feel that their work is not worthy of sharing with others. I remember when I started mine and was doing research on it and I saw some of the amazing builds that are out there and I thought, wow, mine will never be as good as theirs, but I showed my work anyway. You should too, and be proud of what you accomplish and don't compare your work to anyone elses. If it turns out better than it was when you got it then it's all good. It already looks better.

Thanks Greg. I am proud of what I accomplished so far. You guys just kill me with your paint jobs looking so darn good. :) When I got the lathe home last year I started thinking "what have I done?!" and "I should have just bought a new Chi-Tai lathe and be done with it" but now I'm glad and proud of owning a piece of Americana. I just hope she works as well as I'm getting her looking. :)

Heavy 10 Cross Feed Oiler/Screw for nut?

Took some time but finally got the apron done. It's such a beautiful thing seeing parts all cleaned up, ain't it? :) So moving onward to the saddle now and I already see two weird things.

There's supposed to be an oiler port or grease fitting (spring loaded ball type?) and screw of some kind in the saddle in front of the cross feed/compound. It would be #44 & 45 on the diagram I attached. On mine it's a simple cap screw that goes all the thru the saddle to secure the crossfeeed nut. Am I right that I'm missing something (oiler?) or should I leave it or...? :confused:

Here's WoodtickGreg's photo and you can see the port I'm talking about.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41671&d=1350947750

(EDIT) I ain't gonna worry about it. I'll have to remember to carefully remove the screw, add oil, then put screw back in and that should be fine. I could get a grease/oil fitting from Mcmaster but don't know if it'll be long enough to reach the crossfeed nut.

Attachments

• Saddle_911J.pdf
    369.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Back