4 ft. bed, threaded, 26 7/8"
4.5 ft. bed, threaded, 34.25"
Loo taper, subtract 1 21/32"
D1-4, subtract 1"
This info is from South Bend sheet EP-108-2, dated 3-31-58, for 10L lathes

Bobby

Thank you, Bobby!

Re: Help on Used SB Heavy 10L

Splat, Any missing tooling is available for the 10L, but not for free. General rule of thumb states that a lathe with no tooling will double in price when fully tooled. Try to get the seller to find it or lower the price. In transporting, to tip it over is death. I've read horror stories. Highly recommend skidding with a wide skid. Good luck!

Splat, Any missing tooling is available for the 10L, but not for free. General rule of thumb states that a lathe with no tooling will double in price when fully tooled. Try to get the seller to find it or lower the price. In transporting, to tip it over is death. I've read horror stories. Highly recommend skidding with a wide skid. Good luck!

Transporting would be a major job, yep. The 18" between centers is not gonna be enough for what I want to do for the first couple of jobs so I'll pro'lly be passing on the lathe.

The Heavy 10L is now at her final home. :) I went and got her yesterday. I was lucky because my brother got paged out in the morning so my helper was gone :panic:, but the seller was kind enough to help me disassemble and load her into the van. :worship: What a heavy beast! "jawdrop: I broke it down into motor, carriage, bed & headstock(w/stuck chuck!), chip pan, legs, and motor enclosure/stand. I followed the disassemble tutorial floating around the web and it wasn't that bad. I'm still surprised how easy it went.

Here's a few pics right before commencing teardown:
IMG_2013.JPGIMG_2017.JPG

I don't know why but I didn't take a whole front shot of the lathe. I have more pics but they're all closeups of carriage, inside motor housing, etc...

There are a few dings in the way up by the headstock but the carriage rides smooth and seems ok but I won't know until she's back together.

IMG_2044.JPGIMG_2045.JPG

The reverse latch was broken off so have to either make one somehow or find one. Anybody got an extra laying around?
IMG_2046.JPG

There's a lotta gunk in the carriage so she'll need a good cleaning. I guess the threading dial is supposed to go here where the bent pointed screw is now:
IMG_2037.JPG

The leather belt is in decent condition. It's got a weird way of joining both ends with a pin sliding thru "teeth"(?) but it seems like it should work ok.
IMG_2057.JPG

The tool and cross slides are smooth, though the tool slide seems to have tight gibs.
The tailstock does not appear to be the original. I called SB and get the serial(?) for the tailstock for this lathe but it doesn't match the #'s on the tailstock I got. There's a bit of rust on the inside but the ram works fine.
IMG_2054.JPG

I was surprised to see it's got a Bison 6" (didn't measure yet but think it's that) chuck on it. Hope it's in good condition. It looks ok, but the seller didn't have a chuck key so gotta get one. It's stuck on pretty good. :scared: We tried removing it at the seller's house but no luck. I have to take it off before moving the bed because it's gotta easily be about 25pounds alone.
IMG_2050.JPG

The 220v 3-phase motor looks new but how of course once you get it in you don't move it much. I'm debating whether to get a phase change convertor, which would also provide variable speed, or get a straight 110v 3/4hp. I'm thinking the convertor would be better, no?
IMG_2022.JPG

The motor enclosure/stand was a bit heavy, you could say. :yikes: I know folks say "heavier is better" for lathes and mills but you really can't appreciate it until you have to move one of these beasts, or until your first deep cuts/turns on the machine.

Setting wood blocks correctly under the headstock so no weight was on the quick change box's gears was a minor pita. Then I had to figure how to store the carriage safely...turning it upside down and sitting it on its top seemed to be ok. I then secured everything with major strappage and tie downs and it was time to boogey.:) I traveled home thru some serious lightening and thunder. Here she is arrived at her new home. I had already removed some pieces from the van.
IMG_2034.JPGIMG_2035.JPG

Breaking her down was nothing but moving was another thing. The tutorial states 1 person could do it but I disagree unless they have a hoist or crane. Even then you have to be real attentive while lifting to ensure straps/ropes are not slipping, and the weight is balanced, etc... She's in pretty good condition for a 1957 machine. From what I can see there are no teeth missing from any gears. So now she needs a good cleaning. Lots of metal, grease, and grime. Thanks to you guys who replied to me about this lathe. Hey, I finally got a lathe! :biggrin:

IMG_2013.JPG IMG_2017.JPG IMG_2044.JPG IMG_2045.JPG IMG_2037.JPG IMG_2050.JPG IMG_2022.JPG IMG_2034.JPG IMG_2035.JPG IMG_2046.JPG IMG_2057.JPG IMG_2054.JPG

Last edited:

Congrats Splat! It looks like your weekends are booked for a bit now. :biggrin: Take some pics when you get it into your workspace.

Hells yeah. :biggrin: Now The Boss says it's gotta go in the garage. I have the mill in the basement workshop but she doesn't like the smell of Tap Magic Pro when I was milling some hardened steel. If I move everything into the garage I'm worried about rust on the mill and lathe come cold weather. Oh well, can't have everything. But hey, I got a lathe! :p

Hells yeah. :biggrin: Now The Boss says it's gotta go in the garage. I have the mill in the basement workshop but she doesn't like the smell of Tap Magic Pro when I was milling some hardened steel. If I move everything into the garage I'm worried about rust on the mill and lathe come cold weather. Oh well, can't have everything. But hey, I got a lathe! :p

Simple! Just make your garage "climate controlled" like mine:

The heat pump part is out back. :biggrin: I have no trouble in the summer or winter with excess humidity, thermostat is set to 73 degrees year-round.

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Simple! Just make your garage "climate controlled" like mine:

The heat pump part is out back. :biggrin: I have no trouble in the summer or winter with excess humidity, thermostat is set to 73 degrees year-round.
-Ron

Come on! That's a beer fridge with some ducting! :drink: You do installs? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back