Single Point Threading Between Centers

You sure about that......???

Dressing it flat using a grinder (or belt sander if you've got one) is the way to go for these.

Trying to do it on the mill sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Oops...

+1 for just holding it in your 3-jaw.

I don’t know how to sharpen this P-6 threading blade. Maybe someone could chime in and let me know. I have done it on the mill using a carbide end mill, and I didn’t like how it turned out.

A96CA3DB-59CC-455E-B004-1127F378DCEA.jpeg

Yes, I’m definitely starting to appreciate the conveniences afforded by using a chuck.

Funny how making a small mistake snowballs into lots of mistakes. I watch myself do it all the time. Mess up one little thing and make a hasty correction that ruins so much more.

Glad that everything that got broken was a replaceable item. Keep up the work!

The nut from the store fits very nicely. I am going to clean it up the new bolt the best that I can.

Credit to Joe Pie for showing how to bring a threading tool back in after you’ve lost your place (or, in my case, switched to a different tool bit).

image.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good! Sorry, I should use proper words. I tend to use it as a catch all for sturdy, rigid, beefy. I blame a certain YouTuber!
that certain YouTuber first introduced me to skookum and a whole host of other adjectives, verbs, nouns .....;)

This M18-2.5 bolt kicked my butt. I am going to try to make another one just like it without making any mistakes.

850E67D9-6CF6-442E-8652-C52FDB2CCD7D.png

Last edited:
I made this one with zero issues, except the close up photo shows a finish that is not perfect. The chamfer on the bolt head is also asymmetric.

89BC97F1-90BB-42BD-B336-FC138421940A.jpeg

185C9B0B-7ACA-4C70-BDC5-F57FCFAD213F.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t know how to sharpen this P-6 threading blade. Maybe someone could chime in and let me know. I have done it on the mill using a carbide end mill, and I didn’t like how it turned out.

View attachment 357090

Yes, I’m definitely starting to appreciate the conveniences afforded by using a chuck.

To sharpen a P6, you grind the entire top flat. You have a lot to grind away but if you just make the top flat it will reproduce the original geometry. Best done on a belt sander.

With the flash on, it is a bit of a horror show.

D9579AB7-2414-41EB-B3D4-AD3B0D753F9E.jpeg

Back