Single Point Threading Between Centers

To sharpen a P6, you grind the entire top flat. You have a lot to grind away but if you just make the top flat it will reproduce the original geometry. Best done on a belt sander.

Perfect timing with your answer. But what if I don’t have a belt sander?

I can’t use a milling machine with a carbide end mill? I did that before, but I ground it at an improper angle.

Last edited:
I tried it with a flap disc.

2D497BFE-AC03-4FB6-9419-C736FD3C99B8.png

Last edited:
Cutting HSS with an end mill will not go well. You need an abrasive that can grind flat. A belt sander's flat platen is ideal. Someday you might consider owning one.

Cutting HSS with an end mill will not go well. You need an abrasive that can grind flat. A belt sander's flat platen is ideal. Someday you might consider owning one.

I wonder if something like this would be good enough. I also wonder if I could use this for fine tuning (and touching up) HSS lathe tool bits.

0B2C2F5B-33DE-4396-9FFA-95FAF0BE8826.png

A scotchbrite wheel cleans up parts really nice for deburring or bluing etc.

I wonder if something like this would be good enough. I also wonder if I could use this for fine tuning (and touching up) HSS lathe tool bits.

View attachment 357136

Personally, I would not waste money on something like that. I know finances are tight right now so wait for a better grinder. I'll link you to something later. Have to run right now.

Back