Single Point Threading Between Centers

We had a dog in the neighborhood with 2 legs , a missing eye and half a tail . His name was " Lucky " .

But yeah , I agree . Turn it , thread and part it off in a 3 jaw .

The pitch diameter I am looking for is 18.376 mm. I measured the pitch diameter of the bolt that I bought from the store, and it measures 18.352 mm.

I just measured the work on the lathe, and the pitch diameter is 18.771 mm, so I won’t even bother to try to fit a nut on yet.

image.jpg

I elect to just do careful spring passes until I just get to the specified pitch diameter.

Can I have full confidence that the work will return to the exact same position if I take it out and put it back in?

EDIT: with the zip tie on the dog, nothing changes position while test fitting a nut.

Last edited:
I was getting no chips at all on the spring passes. Theoretically, I still have to go in another radial .1975 mm.

The metric divisions on my compound are .02 mm. I don’t know if this is radius or diameter, but I would guess radius.

I will go in 2 divisions on the compound with spring passes until I get no chips.

You'll be fine removing the part, it's a good reason to be working between centers. Pop an indicator against the compound and verify the dial, just for your own peace of mind?

Looking over the pictures again, I reckon you might be able to tweak your setup by increasing the skookumness of your driver bolted to the faceplate. Not being critical, but hopefully helpful!

You'll be fine removing the part, it's a good reason to be working between centers. Pop an indicator against the compound and verify the dial, just for your own peace of mind?

Looking over the pictures again, I reckon you might be able to tweak your setup by increasing the skookumness of your driver bolted to the faceplate. Not being critical, but hopefully helpful!

I absolutely welcome constructive criticism. What is skookumness?

Edit: I looked it up, and I got that skookum means cool or impressive.

looking good but for the love of god put a chamfer at the start of the thread at least :)

Back