Single Point Threading Between Centers

You must have a bench grinder, right?

Just use that, no worries. Costs free dollars and it'll work great.

I had a problem. I saw that I was able to make cuts as deep as .20 mm (10 divisions on the metric scale). After taking my son to work and then returning to the project, I dialed in 10 divisions on the Imperial scale. This is 30% more of a cut, and it busted my threading blade. Look at this carnage:
Way cool ! You couldn't make that on a cnc if you tried ! :encourage:

The way you are threading doesn't leave you much space for errors . I understand you're learning , but that could have been disasterous ! o_O

You must have a bench grinder, right?

Just use that, no worries. Costs free dollars and it'll work great.

The Aloris P6 HSS insert has to be ground dead flat on top. You cannot do that with a wheel.

Erik, I was going to link to the belt sander that David recommended. If you use ceramic belt with it, it will definitely grind HSS just fine.

The Aloris P6 HSS insert has to be ground dead flat on top. You cannot do that with a wheel.
I respectfully disagree.

Even the Aloris website says "to sharpen, simply grind the top surface."

All you need to do is grind it flat.

Sure, a bench grinder will leave an **ever-so-slightly** convex surface, but just finish it flat with a stone if it bugs you.

Yes, a belt sander would be nice. Most new tools are nice. But you don't need one to sharpen your HSS insert.

I am going to have to move forward without a belt sander now because I financially ran myself into the ground with the PM-1660TL (and tooling) purchase. Also, my shop is full. Even if somebody gave me a bench grinder, I would have no place to put it indoors.

I have done fine with my bench grinder and diamond honing files for the HSS tool bits, even though the bench grinder lives outdoors.

So how do I grind the top of a P-6 flat with no belt sander? What if I get it close with a flap disc & then get it perfectly flat on the milling machine? A carbide end mill cuts the HSS P-6 just fine.

David,
I went with the Kalamazoo.
I probably should have gone on the cheap but I do like it.
These belt sanders are very handy for all sorts of things.

Here is how it is going. The thread relief OD is 16.1 mm for a minor diameter of 16.933 mm.

View attachment 356974
I don't know why I haven't used my Aloris threading tool-like yours??
I used it once, worked great and forgot about it.
Thinking about what Mikey said, "the edge needs to be perfectly flat". I can see using a HD tool room grinder or the U2. Then hone to a mirror finish for best results.
Looking really good man!!

The edge doesn't need to be flat . Think of it as a HSS tool bit . Grind it to so it works for the job .

David,
I went with the Kalamazoo.
I probably should have gone on the cheap but I do like it.
These belt sanders are very handy for all sorts of things.
Those puppies are over $1000 in Canada... o_O

Back