Single Point Threading Between Centers

looking good but for the love of god put a chamfer at the start of the thread at least :)

I was doing just that while you were posting it LOL.

Here is the chamfer at the base of the bolt head. I had to search through a lot of tools to find one that would do this.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good! Sorry, I should use proper words. I tend to use it as a catch all for sturdy, rigid, beefy. I blame a certain YouTuber!

I reckon a bit of triangulation from the end of the driver rod to near the bolts would work wonders for stiffening the driver up and hopefully help your surface finish. Won't need much, just enough to stop any potential for flexing/ringing of the plate/rod.

Now I am going right into an M18-2.5 bolt threaded between centers.

image.jpg

What I will do differently this time:

(1) Get a chamfer on both ends (i.e. base of bolt head and end of threads (at live center)) before threading,
(2) Thread confidently until I get close to a crested V,
(3) I can make the safety groove shorter. I have been using my foot brake to end travel toward the headstock. It stops immediately. After stepping on the foot brake, I put the power lever in neutral, back the cross slide out 5+ mm, and then put the chuck in reverse to get my threading blade back out to the tailstock end of the threads. The half nut is left engaged throughout the threading process,
(4) Remember to use the fishtail to check alignment of the threading blade! I had merely squared up the tool post.

The first time, I was overly afraid of overshooting the depth of thread so I was very gun shy with the compound travel. Now I see that I can cut freely as long as I am not near the crested V. Having said that, I notice that crazy deep cuts make for a terrible finish. I like a lot of spring passes and oil.

Last edited:
You gotta rub some dirt on that driving dog or something! That makes the paint in my newish truck look dull in comparison.

Do you wax that thing? It's downright pretty.

Drench your truck in oil-based CF and you’re there.

Last edited:
Looks good! Sorry, I should use proper words. I tend to use it as a catch all for sturdy, rigid, beefy. I blame a certain YouTuber!

I reckon a bit of triangulation from the end of the driver rod to near the bolts would work wonders for stiffening the driver up and hopefully help your surface finish. Won't need much, just enough to stop any potential for flexing/ringing of the plate/rod.

I just grabbed on to that offset dog driving pin, and it does indeed flex. Maybe a gusset would be in order.

Beautiful threads! Nice work. Single point threading gets a lot faster after the first 10-20 times you try it. Starts to become routine.

For chamfering the corners of a hex head, I like to use a threading tool. Each side is a 30 degree chamfer tool and you can hit both edges in the same setup (assuming of course the dog wasn't there). It ends up looking pretty darn close to factory.

Back