Power Hacksaw Rebuild

Thanks Sam, I think I'll end out doing something out of wood for now. I'm still giving some thought to it.

Paul

I have finished the machine work on the vice. The pictures were taken before the vice was disassembled for painting. I can't do much more until I get the stand made and a motor installed. I have all of the materials on hand. I will be using red oak for the stand and I already have several motors on the shelf that will work. I think I'll try using 1/3 hp for the saw.

Well enough said, here are the pictures.

000_0583 copy.jpg 000_0582 copy.jpg 000_0581 copy.jpg 000_0580 copy.jpg 000_0584 copy.jpg

Perfectly Paul ., I got ta slide over there and take some pics; me & you go to Harbor junk store and see whats up ....after I get all them
plows on.................................
sam

Thanks Sam, HF is only a couple miles from here. Get those plow's on.

Paul

That is a really nice build I have been checking out the plans for these in the old Pop. Mechanics and Pop. Sciences over on google books. Hopefully I can build one for my home shop.

I've followed this with great interest. I just picked up a very early Keller 3b that'll eventually undergo the same restoration as yours (though you've set the bar pretty high!). I haven't had much to add, but don't take the silence as a lack of interest!

Cheers!

Chandos

Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments.

I also started out with the thought of building my own, but I ran across this one. All and all it may have been just as easy to build one from scratch. The bottom line is as long as it does the job is all that counts.

Paul

Well its been awhile since I posted any pictures. The project is finally coming to an end. At the present I am working on the stand. I decided to go with red oak. I had a few 8 foot x 8 and 12 inch wide air dried boards I decided to use. The legs are glued up pieces to make the 2 inch square legs. I sized the stand so the saw can fit under my lathe. The top was cut from a 12 inch wide board and ripped into 3 pieces so I can control the potential of cupping. I use number 20 biscuits at the glue joints. I then wrapped the top with a 1 1/4 x 5/8 thick oak boarder. This will protect the engrain and add to the aesthetics. I used mahogany splines at the corners.

The frame also made from oak. This was 1/2 inch mortise and tennon, the dowels were also mahogany and 3/8 inch in diameter. I used a minwax stain, golden oak. All that needs to be done is putting a couple coats of satin urethane. Oh, I used no metal hardware on the base assembly with exception of mounting of the top I am using 1bout a half dozen 1 1/2 galvanized deck screws for this.

The drive system is also made and painted. I decided on using a jack shaft so that I can contain the motor within the frame with nothing sticking out. I should be able to show this in a couple of days.

Paul

000_0588 copy.jpg 000_0590 copy.jpg 000_0604 copy.jpg 000_0607 copy.jpg 000_0608 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Really nice work on both the stand and the saw! Anxiously waiting to see the final pictures!

David

Back