Power Hacksaw Rebuild

One sweet piece, Paul ah any plans for wheels like mine >the kind with emerg. brakes lol

sam gotta go warm up the trucks now (cha ching=cha ching) about time

Sam, to answer your question "yes" I will be adding some type of wheel base and it will most likely have locking wheels. I think I mentioned that I want to park the saw under my lathe when not in use.

With all of the snow I thought you would already be out working. Hey, I'll let them know at HF that you'll be coming with your pockets full.

Good luck with the snow.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Just wanted to add my praise and thanks.

You are doing a beautiful job and are obviously very talented.
There's no way I could do that "by the seat of my pants", I'd be piled high with sketches, and surrounded by books and web-searches of similar designs.

Please know that there is great interest in your postings.
I know transferring, resizing and posting can take some time, I really appreciate the effort you've put into documenting it.

Your investment in the tool is for your benefit, your investment in your posts benefit the rest of us.
Is is deeply appreciated.

brino

Thanks Brino, rebuilding a small machine like this is not all that hard if you don't let it control you. I break things down to one part at a time, if you look at everything all at once it can be overwhelming.

Today, I put the third coat of urethane on the stand. I would like to get everything put together so I can run the saw for a little break in. I hope to have a few more pictures this week.

Again thanks for your interest and kind words.

Paul

Well believe it or not I submitted more pictures this AM and they did not go through, so here is the second try.

000_0622 copy.jpg 000_0619 copy.jpg 000_0616 copy.jpg 000_0626 copy.jpg 000_0624 copy.jpg

Sam, to answer your question "yes" I will be adding some type of wheel base and it will most likely have locking wheels. I think I mentioned that I want to park the saw under my lathe when not in use.

With all of the snow I thought you would already be out working. Hey, I'll let them know at HF that you'll be coming with your pockets full.

Good luck with the snow.

Paul

dont worry I'm am commin ya know it sucks to do a blizzird make a bill and tommor its all gone like guilt tripp but I will get to ya sam

No problem Sam, come when you can. We got a bug going around the house right now anyway. No sense in you getting it too. Oh, last week we also started rebuilding my cousin's utility trailer. Thought I could save him some money.

Paul

ok, i give up. what raises the blade on the return stroke? is that an ecentric that works it? i wanna build one of these, but i gotta figure it all out first.

I just completed a similar saw rebuild. I am not having any luck finding the power hacksaw blade in 12". I see you are using Lennox, where are you finding them, or what number is it, if you don't mind?

Thanx! Bob

Well on the flywheel there is an eccentric or cam this moves an arm up and down. There is a block the is attached to the main arm it has a number of teeth cut in to it, we will call this part the ratchet block. On the end of the moving arm that is driven by the cam are 2 feet which have a couple pieces of hardened flat stock, which are about 1 inch long, 3/8 inch wide and 1/8 inch thick. These pieces of flat stock engages into the ratchet block and lifts the blade. The cam is timed so that the lifting takes place on the forward stroke and allows the saw to cut on the return stroke.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Back