Power Hacksaw Rebuild

That is totally awesome! Great work! :man:

Subscribed!

thanks for the quick reply, these things are a little more complex than i thought. i may be further ahead to get a portable bandsaw and make a table for it than buiding one from scratch. my shop is my basement, so either way a spark flinging chop saw is out. thanks again.

Bcassel, I bought the Lenox blade at a local industrial supply. It was the only one they had. I went to this size because the 1/2 inch blades were breaking. This one is 1" x 12" it has 14 teeth. To be honest I did not like it. I found that the teeth were just too coarse and I felt it was beating the saw to death. I ended out using a 1/2" x 12" with 18 teeth, much better. Oh, they are bi-metal and say they are unbreakable.

Now here is the problem I have no idea where I bought them. It could be Home Depot, Lowes or Harbor Freight they are all local to me. If I remember I'll check the name brand.

I know that Enco sells Starrett blades you can also check with Mc master Carr or MSC.

Hope this help's you.
Paul

Xray, I also have a horizontal band saw, a 14-inch abrasive saw and a vertical band saw (it's one I built from scratch). Each has its place and use. I wanted to have the hack saw because of limited room in the shop. I keep the horizontal in the barn where I keep all my stock and use it for rough cutting. This type of saw is not known for straight cuts, but does the work fast.

This is a picture of the homemade band saw. It is mostly constructed from wood. Even the blade wheel are wood. Its a 12 inch.

Paul

000_0163 copy 2.jpg

Have you tried adjusting the weight in and out to decrease the down-weight on the larger teeth? I'm curious if it helped or not.

I've got generic blades from OSH on right now and it works great, but then I haven't worked it too hard yet. Have a project coming up to build a stand for my sanders and grinders and that will involve several cuts between this saw and my 4X6 bandsaw.

I tried playing with the weight but I really didn't notice any change. I really haven't put a lot of time into cutting. I spent all last week cleaning my woodworking shop. I have a few Adirondack chairs to make. In addition, I have a snow blower that needs work so I'll be spending some time on that this week.

As for the saw blades the ones I am using I bought at HF they list at $5.99 for 10 they are 1/2 x 12, with 18 points per inch and as I mentioned they are bi-metal.

Good luck on the stand.

Paul

Paul,
I just joined today .... excellent article! .... Thanks. I have the same or very similar saw. The only pieces I'm missing are the vise screw and block & the motor. I have the stationary & swivel jaws. Is your screw a special thread? Swivel on end of screw where it contacts moving jaw block?

Hi Doug, just remember I had to make all of my parts for the saw vice. I used a piece 1/2 inch threaded rod. It bored so that the rod to accept the swivel. I left a lead on the swivel so it would slip into the threaded rod. This way I can remove it should I need to disassemble the setup. The swivel is a 3 piece setup. So far it has worked well.

Hope this helps. Oh BTW, welcome to the forum. Good group of people here always ready to help.

Paul

Fastback,

Thanks for the great article on your saw rebuild. I have the exact same saw sitting under a workbench untouched for the last 20 years. Your results have inspired me to find time to restore it. Mine has a decal identifying as IXL brand.

Thanks again, Kevin J.

Back