PM 1340GT delivery and setup

Found it from another thread. C6 gear gives 0.75 with 40t and 30t gears. Replacing the 30t with 32t will give the 0.8 ratio for C6. Don't yet know for 0.7.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

There is a metric 0.7 pitch, as well as a few others not on the 1340GT chart. You need to contact QMT about additional change gears (32, 35) specific for these metric threads. I also would recommend switching out the lathe feet to hard metal swivel feet, the rubber isolating ones are fine for mills but on a lathe the bed leveling will continue to drift. Been there, done that.

Attachments

• PM 1340GT Gear Thread Chart with 40, 35, 32 30 change gears.pdf
    259.9 KB · Views: 91
All set. Although could not figure out how to install the bxa QCTP.

Beyond thrilled to finally have this running!
a5b6529cd8f108ad62efd3f576974ecb.jpg
9198235f124061f1b69217642ecd821f.jpg
83d9c73ff199281d2e0cead89d76b5ad.jpg

If I may suggest, close the gap between the chip tray, and table edge, then put some kind of rod, and drape to keep swarf out of the lower shelf. My wife has adjustable rods, and short drapes she got for the kitchen windows, maybe that could work for you too.

If I may suggest, close the gap between the chip tray, and table edge, then put some kind of rod, and drape to keep swarf out of the lower shelf. My wife has adjustable rods, and short drapes she got for the kitchen windows, maybe that could work for you too.
Perfect idea for the drape. I anyway will put a narrow plywood strip between chip tray and take edge.

Nice lathe, As has been said before the relative height of tail stock and head stock ends is not important but make sure you don't induce a twist in the lathe.

When I set up my lathe a 12x16 new 4 years ago, I made a similar frame to yours and used both hold down bolts and jacking screws to join the lathe to the bed. I also used jacking screws on the frame to the floor with metal plates under them, but no hold-down bolts. worked out perfectly.

My frame sat directly on the floor without legs as my lathe came with twin cabinets as a stand. The cabinets had provision on the base for both the hold down bolts and the jacking screws..

That's a great lathe and an excellent step-by-step write-up on the installation. I'm sure many will benefit from your pictorial presentation.

Congratulations.

Do I have to machine the PM QCTP base to fit the T-slot on the compound? It does not seem plug and play. I have a 30MV mill but how can someone without a mill do it?

Do I have to machine the PM QCTP base to fit the T-slot on the compound? It does not seem plug and play. I have a 30MV mill but how can someone without a mill do it?
They should have sent you the base that fits. Same thing happened to me - ordered the BXA QCTP, and it came without the t-slot base. I called and they said they'd send one, but it took a while to get to me. They also hinted that if I had a mill I could make one, but I don't so they made one there and sent it to me, but it was a couple weeks all told.

Back