PM 1340GT delivery and setup

Ah, I may be out numbered here but those vibration dampers aren't designed to be used on lathes.
You want a rigid mount.
Someone more experienced will be along.

Oh darn, I have already accounted for the height of the leveling feet. Let me see how it turns out.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I have leveling feet (the yellow thing in the previous picture). Will that not be sufficient?

I honestly don't know. The leveling feet will help of course, but if the two mounting areas for the lathe are not on the same plane the stand can induce twist in the lathe bed when it is bolted down to the stand. Unless shims are used of course.

With a two-piece stand, each stand can be 'leveled' individually for any variances in height and tilt in the mounting surfaces where the lathe bolts to the stand. I'm not sure how that works with a one piece stand? And I'm not sure that I'm not just chasing windmills here either. ;)

I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in here. Maybe after Christmas. :)

Ah I see. I guess after I use the leveling feet to stabilize the table I have to check for bed twist and accordingly shim under tailstock end. Thanks.

Ah I see. I guess after I use the leveling feet to stabilize the table I have to check for bed twist and accordingly shim under tailstock end. Thanks.

Yes, that is how it needs done.
height difference between headstock and tailstock is not an issue, the bed can be at a 45 deg angle and still work.
The bed twist is what needs adjusted.

I really think that you need to make sure you do not pull the bed of the lathe down to a frame that is not flat or has a twist to it. If it were me I would set the lathe on the stand and take some feeler gauges and see how flat things are. If there are any gaps I would put shims in to fill the gap. Then I would bolt the lathe to the stand. From there I would use the leveling feet to do the final adjusting. The ultimate would be to have the top of the frame machined.

Just my 2 cents
Roger L

Mine is ready for shipping, I was told that 4 containers are sold out to about May for the 1340GT. So if you have the deposit, and can get the full amount by then, you may want to put a down for reservations.

Thanks Roger for the tips. I will report back. Definitely not going to bolt the table to floor though.

I wonder how this large is so much in demand. Good sign overall that more people are getting into doing stuff in the country.

I have finally rigged up the lathe, the hairiest part would now be to put it on the table.
4754cf6df1be575547e49bf8d641699c.jpg

Back