PM 1340GT delivery and setup

They should have sent you the base that fits. Same thing happened to me - ordered the BXA QCTP, and it came without the t-slot base. I called and they said they'd send one, but it took a while to get to me. They also hinted that if I had a mill I could make one, but I don't so they made one there and sent it to me, but it was a couple weeks all told.
Good to know. Let me see if they can send one otherwise I will machine it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

First project to keep the SO happy, ofcourse. Made her a simple automation to wind her yarns which she was doing manually, takes quite a lot of time. I am beyond thrilled with the smooth cuts I am getting from an old carbide cutter.

I am holding an aluminum washer which I made later to reduce friction. For higher friction I just take out that washer so the wood slides on the larger steel ring.

80c3b8e67ab1e6283b297827e7e5f806.jpg
af3dcb3f482b014c584bcff8ad59f3e8.jpg
4639e4d32aaaedc9582fb59e9080e16d.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

It’s always exiting to get new machines. My 1340 GT came in on the 10th, and I haven’t used my old Hendey since. I also ordered the quick ch ange post and it came with no t-slot. I have thought about machining the base or maybe just threading a different bolt to screw into the existing t slot in place of the one that is there.

So what is the QCTP issue ?

On the QCTP they sent, the bottom plate is solid, and cannot be inserted into the T Slot on the compound. The stud that came with it has different threads than what the lathe does. I can make some parts to get it going, but I did not expect to have to.

Likewise mine arrived as a thick piece of flat I presume MS. With a hole tapped in the middle to suit the tool post spindle. They are always made oversize so you can machine it down to fit any lathe. I do not have a mill so I machined it in my lathe.

Setting the plate up in the chuck with one long side against the chuck face. I then faced off half the amount I needed to take off from one edge, then turning it over, removed the same amount from the opposite edge. The plate is now narrow enough to fit the wider part of the "T: slot ,with a few thou clearance

Then threading the plate onto the threaded post, I set the post up in the chuck, tightened the plate against the chuck. and turned down a short section of the plate so that the turned dia is a good fit, with a few thou clearance. in the narrow width of the slot and the wider piece at the back is also a slight clearance in the depth of the wider slot. Finally reduce the thickness of the smaller dia part to be about 0.010" less than the depth of the narrow top part of the slot. Remove from chuck, break all sharp corners, remove the plate from the post and replace it the other way so it's facing the right way. Screw the plate onto the post very tightly and if any protrudes through the bottom Face it off.

Now you are ready to remove the old tool post and fit the new one. Make sure that the post and plate are slightly loose in the "T" slot before tightening the top nut. If the post bolt is allowed to screw down onto the base of the slot it can break the compound slide and or the "T" slot, likewise if the top of the "T" nut can rise above the top of the compound slide it will cause the tool post block to seat on it rather than the top surface of the compound slide and it will not be as secure and ridged as it should be,.

Pretty easy really, good luck.

Likewise mine arrived as a thick piece of flat I presume MS. With a hole tapped in the middle to suit the tool post spindle. They are always made oversize so you can machine it down to fit any lathe. I do not have a mill so I machined it in my lathe.

Setting the plate up in the chuck with one long side against the chuck face. I then faced off half the amount I needed to take off from one edge, then turning it over, removed the same amount from the opposite edge. The plate is now narrow enough to fit the wider part of the "T: slot ,with a few thou clearance

Then threading the plate onto the threaded post, I set the post up in the chuck, tightened the plate against the chuck. and turned down a short section of the plate so that the turned dia is a good fit, with a few thou clearance. in the narrow width of the slot and the wider piece at the back is also a slight clearance in the depth of the wider slot. Finally reduce the thickness of the smaller dia part to be about 0.010" less than the depth of the narrow top part of the slot. Remove from chuck, break all sharp corners, remove the plate from the post and replace it the other way so it's facing the right way. Screw the plate onto the post very tightly and if any protrudes through the bottom Face it off.

Now you are ready to remove the old tool post and fit the new one. Make sure that the post and plate are slightly loose in the "T" slot before tightening the top nut. If the post bolt is allowed to screw down onto the base of the slot it can break the compound slide and or the "T" slot, likewise if the top of the "T" nut can rise above the top of the compound slide it will cause the tool post block to seat on it rather than the top surface of the compound slide and it will not be as secure and ridged as it should be,.

Pretty easy really, good luck.

Ok, I get the first part, to narrow the width of the plate to the widest part of the "T" slot, and it sounds like the first line of the second paragraph is decreasing the thickness of the of the plate to the height of the "T" slot, but how did you decrease the width of the plate to fit the narrow part of the "T"? I know how I would do it on a mill, but not sure how to do it on lathe. I guess you could mount a cutter in the spindle, then mount the plate to the cross slide and slide it across?

Back