Oxy/acetylene rig

Can you use the same cutting and heating tips with acetylene and propane?

Can you use the same cutting and heating tips with acetylene and propane?

According to my research the cutting tips are different, two pieces to accommodate more orifices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tips will kind of work, using hacks like the rusty plate trick. If you do much cutting at all, just buy the correct tip. The clones are not expensive over the Internet. I used a cheap hack when I first tried out my cutting torch. I used a homemade soldered adapter to connect to a MAPP disposable tank. This will light more like acetylene and you can try it to test out the torch if you only have the acetylene cutting tip. This does work, but it is fairly dangerous. You cannot shut off the fuel gas at the torch, and if you accidentally plug your tip with some cutting debris, you could get back flow into your oxygen hose. The test succeeded, and I made some nice artistic cuts in some junk plate for keychains.

@ericc I expect I’ll go with the proper tips.

Picked up the torches and regulators this morning.
2f63864b38670f3f85569359d6e14e3c.jpg

(Top to bottom)
Victor Medalist 350 regulators
Victor 315FC
Victor 315C
Victor CA2460 cutting head
UM-350 brazing tip
10A rosebud (?)

That is a fine collection there! Covers your basic needs- cutting, welding, and heating. You could feasibly stop collecting now and never need another tip for most practical purposes, unless you really get down the rabbit hole of O/A welding. It's like you got the three most popular tools in one swiss army knife.

That is a fine collection there! Covers your basic needs- cutting, welding, and heating. You could feasibly stop collecting now and never need another tip for most practical purposes, unless you really get down the rabbit hole of O/A welding. It's like you got the three most popular tools in one swiss army knife.

Thanks!
I’m pretty stoked that I found them.
I need to pick up a proper propane cutting tip. Already bought new Type T hoses.

Always get the LWS tank policy, before buying any used tank, preferably in writing. Locally for me, 3 out of the 4 LWS, will not fill any customer owned tanks under any circumstances, if it does not have their ownership ring around the neck, to them, the tank is a worthless piece of scrap metal. Basically, no lease, no gas. The last LWS will fill customer owned tanks, if they have absolute positive proof of ownership, but they send the tanks out to be filled, as you will get the same tanks you give them back, the turn around time can vary greatly, sometimes 2 to 5 weeks. Our area no longer has an active local acetylene filling facility, most of the acetylene tanks are sourced out of a facility in Canada.

A couple of friends have purchased tanks from TSC, they will gladly swap out the tanks for you, but because of storage limitations/regulations, you need roughly a weeks notice on bringing tanks in, so they have filled tanks for you, to take home. I’m not sure if they will fill tanks, that were not purchased from them.

Back