Oxy/acetylene rig

Well I got an estimate for propane compatible torch nozzles for my current torch bodies.
New #6 rosebud $239.55
New brazing head $87.08
Two brazing tips $87.79
Total including tax is $462

A 20 lb propane tank swap is $30 at my corner Esso.
A B tank is $52 to fill.
$462 is a heck of a lot of acetylene at $22 difference per tank fill.

Sorry but that is just messed up.

These are my immediate thoughts only and by no means intended to be the best way.

Rosebud. Skip it. Just use the propane tip in your cutting torch. I have a rosebud torch and NEVER use it. Keep in mind you may not be able to use a rosebud safely and efficiently with a B acetylene tank.

Try brazing with your existing torch and tips. I can’t comment accurately on this as I have never used propane.

Go either route (propane or O/A) but I do know for certain you don’t need to spend that $462. I will find better stuff for you to spend your hard earned bucks on... just give me a budget.

Sorry but that is just messed up.

These are my immediate thoughts only and by no means intended to be the best way.

Rosebud. Skip it. Just use the propane tip in your cutting torch. I have a rosebud torch and NEVER use it. Keep in mind you may not be able to use a rosebud safely and efficiently with a B acetylene tank.

Try brazing with your existing torch and tips. I can’t comment accurately on this as I have never used propane.

Go either route (propane or O/A) but I do know for certain you don’t need to spend that $462. I will find better stuff for you to spend your hard earned bucks on... just give me a budget.

Yup I was pretty stunned when I got the prices.
Tells me that I got a good deal on my torches.
I’m going to do exactly as you’re suggesting. Use the propane tip in the torch and see how the brazing nozzles work with propane.

If it’s not great on propane then I’m all set for acetylene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spending long hours in a helmet, welding 90+% of the time wearing headphones is an amazing experience! Take a trip without leaving the house.

Choosing the right music is like choosing the right wire or setting. I prefer Front 242 or Juno Reactor for getting into the zone and up tempo.

Oh no, don't skip the rosebud! It's the most often used tip in my cart. I can cut with plasma and weld with electricity most of the time, but the torch is the only method I have for heating material. Whether I'm heating and quenching tool steel, making a heavy bend, breaking loose a tight bolt, or pre-heating for a weld, it's a job for a rosebud.

Oh no, don't skip the rosebud! It's the most often used tip in my cart. I can cut with plasma and weld with electricity most of the time, but the torch is the only method I have for heating material. Whether I'm heating and quenching tool steel, making a heavy bend, breaking loose a tight bolt, or pre-heating for a weld, it's a job for a rosebud.

I’m going to try all of what I have with propane and see how they go.

Any tip that mixes gas should work with any gaseous fuel, you dial the mixture with your valves. The cutting tip is different, because the proportion of oxidizer to fuel is partially controlled by the proportion of the gas orifices in the tip because cutting torch heads have two gas circuits. Propane requires 3x more oxygen than acetylene by volume.

Any tip that mixes gas should work with any gaseous fuel, you dial the mixture with your valves. The cutting tip is different, because the proportion of oxidizer to fuel is partially controlled by the proportion of the gas orifices in the tip because cutting torch heads have two gas circuits. Propane requires 3x more oxygen than acetylene by volume.

Agreed. David should only require purchasing a propane tip for his cutting torch (if he goes the propane route. ). Ten dollars or so. Maybe a second tip if he intends on cutting heavier stock.

His existing welding tips will work fine for brazing. His tig will look after the items typically gas welded.

Agreed. David should only require purchasing a propane tip for his cutting torch (if he goes the propane route. ). Ten dollars or so. Maybe a second tip if he intends on cutting heavier stock.

His existing welding tips will work fine for brazing. His tig will look after the items typically gas welded.

And I already purchased the tip. :D

Back