Oxy/acetylene rig

Just home from the LWS, Barry Hamel.
Exchanged the tank I bought from @lis2323 no problem.
Bought a propane cutting tip and scoped out the store.
Really nice folks there. They just earned a customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m pretty certain Victor has different levels of quality these days.

Best bet would be to buy an older Victor set in good cosmetic condition. Worst case scenario you send them out for rebuild and end up with a quality set for life.

My stuff is all Air Liquide

8a73b2673be83b3e03eaef9478afed25.jpg

6d65b089e5e028a427d6a8b0f6c6be4d.plist
That cart is bad-azz! I like it a lot!!

I've never run oxy-propane before. I just had a moment when pondering and wondered how different the change would be. I know acetylene's quirks and hazards. I use the black smoke as an indicator for setting my gas and to observe for proper heating conditions. Would I miss those properties of acetylene on propane?

I won't need to switch anytime soon, it's as easy for me to swap a bottle of acetylene as it is to swap propane. Just suddenly curious about how the gas behaves.

I've never run oxy-propane before. I just had a moment when pondering and wondered how different the change would be. I know acetylene's quirks and hazards. I use the black smoke as an indicator for setting my gas and to observe for proper heating conditions. Would I miss those properties of acetylene on propane?

I won't need to switch anytime soon, it's as easy for me to swap a bottle of acetylene as it is to swap propane. Just suddenly curious about how the gas behaves.

It’s all new to me so I’ll be sure to report back on how it goes.

I’ve been using propane 5-6 years. Works fine for me. Cylinder of propane (20 pound) last along time. Mostly cutting,heating with brazing st times.

If you ever decide to buy a different sized brazing tip, I have had poor experiences with the import Victor clones. Fortunately, the genuine Victor tips work nicely.

I would say the same about gas lenses for TIG welding. CK Worldwide = great. Import = leaves room for improvement.

If you ever decide to buy a different sized brazing tip, I have had poor experiences with the import Victor clones. Fortunately, the genuine Victor tips work nicely.

I would say the same about gas lenses for TIG welding. CK Worldwide = great. Import = leaves room for improvement.

Yes, I’m not inclined to gamble with something involving 6000 degrees of fire! :D

Likewise TIG consumables. My Primeweld came with import consumables and I switched them out for a CK stubby kit.

Well I got an estimate for propane compatible torch nozzles for my current torch bodies.
New #6 rosebud $239.55
New brazing head $87.08
Two brazing tips $87.79
Total including tax is $462

A 20 lb propane tank swap is $30 at my corner Esso.
A B tank is $52 to fill.
$462 is a heck of a lot of acetylene at $22 difference per tank fill.

Back