Oxy/acetylene rig

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I’m looking to add an oxy/acetylene rig to my shop.
I’m looking at two used rigs. One has Victor torches the other doesn’t, they have similar size tanks.
The rig with Victor torches is $50 more.
All things being equal, is the set with the Victor torches the preferred route?

Here are the two ads:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't tell what the regulators on the $400 one are but all things being equal I would go with the Victor torch. Good regulators are probably more important than the torch though and are more likely to go bad if they are used. No idea when Sears Craftsman stopped selling welding equipment but I'm gonna bet it was a while ago.

I don't know what a good deal up there is but I paid $200 for a similar sized rig with much newer regulators and torch (Victor) not long ago.

John

Thanks John, I appreciate your experience!
Everything tends to be more expensive it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, with oxyacetelene just assume you will either need to rebuild or replace regulators, torch, or both eventually. If you can lay hands on both you will have a better idea assuming the sellers will let you fire them up.

John

Tanks can be problematic, hydro-static dates are stamped on the neck, good for 5 years. Then will your gas supply store exchange, or do you need to wait for a refill on your personal tank?

All things are not equal, especially when it comes to gas welding setups.
You would have to look them both over(analyze) and test each one before
making your decision. I have a small set similar to the ones pictured but
wish I had bigger tanks. Oh yeah, tanks... check the dates and fillability
so you can refill them at your local supplier.

PS: If all things were equal, you could just pick one..... it wouldn't matter.:rolleyes:

Might be able to get some good advise at the WeldingWeb forum. I joined a few years ago and posted a few questions about used O/X equipment and got a good education. And if I remember correctly those Craftsman regulators can be rebuilt although posting that question on their site or searching will help with your decision.

The tanks might be worth zero if they don't have a bill of sale for the owner. My local airgas would not touch them.

Joe

Back