Oxy/acetylene rig

Only thing I changed was cutting tip insert. 12.00 here 5-6 years ago. Twenty pound cylinder refill here is 15.00.

Well I got an estimate for propane compatible torch nozzles for my current torch bodies.
New #6 rosebud $239.55
New brazing head $87.08
Two brazing tips $87.79
Total including tax is $462

A 20 lb propane tank swap is $30 at my corner Esso.
A B tank is $52 to fill.
$462 is a heck of a lot of acetylene at $22 difference per tank fill.

So you have an acetylene rosebud, torch and welding tips now? I am going to look back over the thread.

Edit: I see it now in Post #77.

With regard to the items shown in Post #77, which items can only be used with acetylene? It looks the regulators are for oxygen and acetylene.

You got a quote for a rosebud, brazing head and brazing tips, so that may answer my question. What do you mean when you say “brazing head“?

As you know, it is recommended that you use a regulator specific to propane. Very last paragraph of:

Last edited:
With my O/A setup, I have a combination torch. ASIDE FROM the cutting torch (that is, for welding & brazing), there is a “brazing/welding torch” and welding tips (in 000, 00, etc.).

Put another way, if we realize that we are not talking about cutting, we could just say “torch” and “welding tip” for acetylene, with the understanding that you would use the welding tip for brazing.

Similarly, we could talk about a “torch” and “brazing tip” for propane.

Last edited:
With regard to the items shown in Post #77, which items can only be used with acetylene? It looks the regulators are for oxygen and acetylene.

You got a quote for a rosebud, brazing head and brazing tips, so that may answer my question. What do you mean when you say “brazing head“?

Wouldn’t you need a regulator specific to propane?
By brazing head I mean one of these:
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 11.20.31 PM.png

The Victor rep said that I needed a propane reg also. So that's an additional expense.

By brazing head I mean one of these:
View attachment 337573

The Victor rep said that I needed a propane reg also. So that's an additional expense.

Thanks for clarifying. I call that a “welding tip”. Mine do not have threads at the end, so I have different welding tips for 000,00,0, etc.

So it sounds like you can use the torch for any fuel. That is good news!

Thanks for clarifying. I call that a “welding tip”.
Ah yes, I went brazing as I can't weld with propane.
Yes the torch body can be used with any fuel. But with the exception of the cutting head the propane nozzles are different. The cutting head just gets a different tip.
I may just start using the cutting torch with the propane tip and see if it meet my needs for the heating and bending I want to do.

Ah yes, I went brazing as I can't weld with propane.

Long story made somewhat short is that I'm likely going to go oxy/acetylene. I cannot see dropping near $500 to save $22 on a tank of fuel.

That is fantastic news because gas welding (to me, at least) is extremely satisfying!

Like I have said, gas welding plays out like TIG in slow motion. It is extremely good practice for TIG!

Of course, if you are in a big hurry, you wouldn’t choose gas welding.

That is fantastic news because gas welding (to me, at least) is extremely satisfying!

Like I have said, gas welding plays out like TIG in slow motion. It is extremely good practice for TIG!
Indeed, So I'll find a used B tank or I may spring for a tank. My LWS quoted me $200 for a full, exchangeable B tank.

Back