My public quit smoking thread....

This thread is like a fraternity of either smokers or ex-smokers, so we all know what is involved. I am not preaching, but I haven't had a cigarette in over 10 years and quitting was one of the best things I have done in my life. Quitting was also one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. I have watched two members of my family go to an early grave because of cigarettes and the last years of their lives was very difficult for them and their families. Personally, I quit drinking and smoking at the same time. Alcohol seems to increase the desire for a cigarette. I tried to quit quite a few times before it took, but it seemed I was fooling myself. I would get around my buddies drinking beer, and next thing I know I have a cigarette in my mouth. Finally one day, I decided this is the time and I quit cold turkey, no gum, patches or pills. I remember one of my co-workers said to me the first week after I had quit "You are a grouchy *******, you need to start smoking again". We all can relate to what you have ahead of you, but it is one of the best things you will ever do.

Anything in life that is worthwhile, requires effort to achieve.

Seems like most my friends smoking 40 yrs or more only quit after heart or cancer surgery. Two of them recently. Never did smoke, but I admire anyone who beats a self-destructive habit.

Well I figured I would post this. I have smoked for the last 12 years, started when I was 16. Smoked a pack to half a pack a day, 6 bucks a pack you get the idea lol. So I figured to give me some motivation I am going to put 6 bucks a day in a jar and use that money for my tooling fund :)) Anyone have any tips on not jumping back on the smokes? I haven't had one since 11:30 last night.

Anyone who doesn't smoke, don't start!!!!

Chris
Chris, How goes the battle?

It's going rough lol. I about threw the towel in yesterday at work. I doubled over from days to afternoons. Walked past a buddy of mine smoking smelled dang good. He offered me one, I thought on it for a minute or two and said no. Although I didn't have a band playing, I felt pretty good lol. But so far, this SUCKS!!!!

Chris

It's going rough lol. I about threw the towel in yesterday at work. I doubled over from days to afternoons. Walked past a buddy of mine smoking smelled dang good. He offered me one, I thought on it for a minute or two and said no. Although I didn't have a band playing, I felt pretty good lol. But so far, this SUCKS!!!!

Chris

It gets better, and better, and better. Don't push ole girle to quit. She can smoke around you because you don't smoke!

Steve

Chris,
Once you get past the physical craving for nicotine you should have it about licked. I always sucked on Jolly Rancher candy when I wanted a smoke to give me something in my mouth to satisfy that need. I say keep up the effort, It is worth it. Unfortunately I am a slug and cant practice what I preach. I started smoking again the day I got out of the hospital after 8 months flat on my back. I just wabted that ole familiar feeling and fell right back into the pit. So I'm pulling for ya to be more successful than me and maybe one day you can tell me to keep at it too. Good luck and dont give in. Your almost there....
Bob

Chris
The first week is a real *****, the second week is pretty tough, after that it is all down hill.
Good Luck

This thread has got me thinking about it every day, I really need to quit. I enjoy it and hate it at the same time. I have to find a way to take my mind off of it and redirect my cravings.

This thread has got me thinking about it every day, I really need to quit. I enjoy it and hate it at the same time. I have to find a way to take my mind off of it and redirect my cravings.

Tell me about it lol. What I'm doing, is I soaked some tooth picks in candy flavoring and throw one in my mouth when I feel the urge. Which seems to be a lot lately lol. Thanks guys for all of the well wishes!!

thanks
Chris

Well I about cracked again, so I went out and bought the patch.....

Chris

Back