My public quit smoking thread....

Well I figured I would post this. I have smoked for the last 12 years, started when I was 16. Smoked a pack to half a pack a day, 6 bucks a pack you get the idea lol. So I figured to give me some motivation I am going to put 6 bucks a day in a jar and use that money for my tooling fund :)) Anyone have any tips on not jumping back on the smokes? I haven't had one since 11:30 last night.

Anyone who doesn't smoke, don't start!!!!

Chris

Good job man. Don't give in! The first 48 hours is the worst... Take it for what it's worth coming from a fellow nicotine addict, but you have my encouragement.

I wish I never started... It would be so much easier to quit!

John

$10.70 a pack here in Long Island NY. Having tried gum, patch, Chantix, etc, I switched to e-Cigarettes back in May and feel 1000 times better. I haven't been able to run up the stairs in years and now I can.

Doc says nicotine isn't really all that bad, it's all the other stuff in tobacco smoke...

John

I also use the ecig.....smoked for 50 years. It wasn't hard at all for me to go with the ecig, I know I feel so much better now. You can also get the eliquid with no nicotine in it. It's only been four months without a tobacco cig, but the changes are great.

I quit for the last time about 2yrs ago.

1st time was on a med cruise in '89 after smoking since 16 so 13 yrs at a pack a day. Cold turkey. 2yrs later on another med cruise mooched one and started back. I figured i could always quit again since the 1st time was no big deal. Besides ship store cigs were like 1.80$ a carton.

2nd time was after I retired from the Navy in '95 used the patch. Strangely enough that time was much harder. Then started smoking "as a hobby" on weekends at the flying field and quit again each monday a couple years of that and then I was smoking in the car, garage, and field but never in the house.

A couple years back I quite again with gum. It was terrible! I really suffered quiting that time. Lots of slips and lapses. I am convinced each time was harder to quit. I will never again smoke anything because I enjoy it so much!

Good luck with your quitting folks. You will find the benefits are numerous and well worth it.

Steve

I quit 16 years ago when my youngest son was born.
At least 2 or 3 times prior I quit for a few years. Each time I tried "just one" cigarette and before the week was over I was back to my old habit.
An addiction is an addiction. You cannot allow yourself to let go even once. Ask a recovering alcoholic.
Now the good news is once you are over the first 2 weeks or month it does not take any effort to say "no".

In my case it was just a matter of faith: I woke up that morning and thought "Fantastic, I am a non-smoker now!" and felt great about it. It was not half as hard as the previous attempts.

Come back here for support if you feel like it, there are quite a few of us here to help.

Thanks for all of the well wishes guys!! I slipped up last night, bummed one off of the fiancee...my head never spun so fast lol. But today so far so good. Got some tooth picks. In all honesty, its the habit of the hand and mouth that the worse for me. I just wish I never started lol.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris just remember--------- you can stop any time you want to-----

I need to jump on this QUIT but went out and bought a carten,,,, Maybe it's a weather thing? I just enjoy smoking.

Its as much a habit as an addiction, that is, its something to do that you're used to doing. Realize and tell yourself that every cigarette takes off 5 minutes, 5 hours or 5 days off of your life. Keep us posted.

Back