My public quit smoking thread....

Tamper84

Active User
Registered
Well I figured I would post this. I have smoked for the last 12 years, started when I was 16. Smoked a pack to half a pack a day, 6 bucks a pack you get the idea lol. So I figured to give me some motivation I am going to put 6 bucks a day in a jar and use that money for my tooling fund :)) Anyone have any tips on not jumping back on the smokes? I haven't had one since 11:30 last night.

Anyone who doesn't smoke, don't start!!!!

Chris

Where do you get cigs for 6 bucks. They are over 8 bucks here. $17.48 for 2 packs.

"Billy G"

Smoking is all about actions that trigger the desire to light up. Those triggers need to be accommodated with a substitute. In my case, when driving to work every morning there was a certain stop light just before entering the freeway that I would always light up. When I quit., I put a pack of " Altoids " in the ashtray and I would have an " Altoid " instead of a cigarette. I smoked for 25 years and I quit 10 years ago and haven't looked back. If you can get through the first two weeks, you have it whipped. Life is so much better without that nasty habit. Good Luck to you.

Thank you guys. I will try the altoids. Billy, here in Ohio that's what Marbs are going for. Go over to West Virginia even cheaper. The last carton I bought over there it was 52 bucks.

Chris

Thank you guys. I will try the altoids. Billy, here in Ohio that's what Marbs are going for. Go over to West Virginia even cheaper. The last carton I bought over there it was 52 bucks.

Chris

$5.20 a pack X 1.5 packs per day = $7.80 per day.
$7.80 X 365 days = $2,847.00
You could buy a nice milling machine or lathe for that money.

$5.20 a pack X 1.5 packs per day = $7.80 per day.
$7.80 X 365 days = $2,847.00
You could buy a nice milling machine or lathe for that money.
Yes I could. I like that number. 7.80 a day hmmmm.

Chris

I quit smoking just four years ago, and it is the best thing I have ever done. My wife and I made a deal that when I quit I could use former cigarette money for machines, tooling, castings, and materials. In the four years since I quit I have not spent nearly as much money as if I were still smoking, but that's okay. Half the fun of this hobby is finding and obtaining the machines then fixing them up and setting up the shop. I bought my 1941 Logan #210 lathe in 2010 then purchased some tooling such as a QCTP, collets, dial indicators, etc. I do many welding projects also so a saw was a nice addition in 2011 when I picked up a Keller 5HD power hacksaw for $100. It was filthy and really only needed a good cleaning up but also needed a single phase motor which was another $100 on clearance at my local TSC store. Last summer I purchase a Clausing 8520 mill for $1000 then purchased some more tooling like a clamping set, etc.

Quitting was difficult. Plain and simple. Probably one of the hardest things I have ever done. Every time I had the urge to smoke I reminded myself of what I would gain by quitting. Not just machinery and tooling, but a longer healthier life. More time with my grandkids. More time with my wife. More time to enjoy the things that really matter.

Don't give in to the urge to smoke! Drink lots of water, it will help your system get rid of the nicotine. When you get the urge to smoke, fight it off each time. After a few minutes it will go away. Getting through the first two weeks is the toughest part as it is the time where your brain starts craving nicotine. After a couple of weeks the craving subsides quite a bit and things get much easier. If you have any cigarettes laying around, THROW THEM AWAY!! Avoid going places where other people smoke, and DON'T GO TO THE BAR WITH YOUR BUDDIES!! After a few drinks you bum a smoke off of somebody, and the next thing you know you're buying a pack with the thought in mind that "I can quit again tomorrow". DON'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE!! Every hour that goes by without a cigarette gets you that much closer to be quittting successfully, and it is a goal that is well worth the effort.

After a couple of days you will start coughing up all the crud that is in your lungs. That part of the healing process will take a couple of weeks, but you will be able to breathe better as a result. After a couple of weeks you senses of smell and taste will start to come back. They were never completely gone, but you will be amazed at how much they were compromised. My sense of smell seems to be better now than it ever was. I can smell a Christmas tree sales lot from a block away, and the wonderful smell of mountain air is something that I had forgotten until a couple of years ago.

Get help if you need to. I used Chantix to quit and it made all the difference in the world. If you relent and have a smoke, don't give up, just start over. Anyone that I know that has quit has had to try a couple of times before succeeding. There is no shame in starting again, and it only spells failure if you don't try to quit again.

Once you succeed and you are using your lathe or mill that was purchased with former cigarette money, you will from time to time remember where your hobby has its roots. Then you will also be able to say "this machining hobby is much more enjoyable than the smokes were."

Having been a smoker, I will never condemn someone who smokes, but I will heartily encourage them to quit, and I applaud all of you that have TRIED to quit. There is no need to praise those who have succeeded, as they already know and understand what they have gained by quitting.

Kudos to you for trying, and best of luck to you in your future endeavors. You will not regret your decision to quit, especially when you can order things with your former smoke money. :ups:

One other thing I did was to cut a straw in half, chew on it when I had the urge to smoke. Gave my hands something to make them happy. tommie

Again thank you guys for the encouragement!!! I think my worse part is that the fiancée still smokes. Oh well I will quit!!

Thanks!!!!
Chris

I started smoking when I was 15 years of age, and within a few months I was on a minimum of 40 a day. I continued smoking this many until I was 65 years of age, when I suddenly realised on my old age pension, I could afford to smoke but I couldn't afford to pay any bill that came in or buy food. So I went to my Doctor I told him, I had tried just about every way possible to give up smoking without any success whatsoever. He gave me a prescription for a course of pills called Zyban. He said take one a day for the first week, and then two a day thereafter and continue smoking. I did as I was told and half way through the second week I found I had totally lost the desire to have a cigarette. After a couple of months even the smell of Ciggy smoke became abhorant to me. I have been off them for five years now. Today I am an anti smoking Nazi. lol. I cannot abide the smell of them.

My finances have improved, all my bills are paid the day they come in and I eat and drink like a gourmet. Sometimes I don't even bother to collect my weekly Old Age Pension because I still have a load of cash in my wallet. Now I'm no Bill Gates or Donald Trump but as a single guy aged 70 I get by. I can still afford to run my 4x4. I may not take expensive holidays but I've been most places I wanted to visit anyway.

There is a downside though. The Doctors all promised my breathing would improve (lies) I would be fitter, (also lies) my sex life would improve (also lies). Once a week horizontal refreshments is all I can manage, but at my age who wants more? Finally, I would be better off financially (the only thing they got right). Wahey.

Try Zyban pills they really work.

Harry

Back