My public quit smoking thread....

All I can say is congratulations to all of you that have kicked the habit, are in the process, or hope to. I smoked those small cigars for a number of years. I "didn't inhale" but ya right the smoke is all around you. When our company closed our design center and I decided to retire, I said no more cigars, when they are done they are done. I slowly weened myself off over the next week or so, till they were no more. Besides the health aspect, to help motivate me, I said I would use the money saved to help support my Clock repair hobby.. and it has more than paid off.

Keep at it. It can be difficult.. but believe me it is very much worth it.

David S

Wow. Well, my progress went down hill. The patch, didnt work out. I started having some crazy dreams. I mean crazy as no sleep. I need to stop and see my doctor about Chantix. I have cut down a bunch as a result though. A pack a week instead of a pack a day lmao.
Chris

Hang in there Chris.

I have stayed out of this conversation because I don't smoke. I got all my smoking second hand (at least most of it was second hand) when I was young. My mother smoked, caught tuberculosis and was forced to quit while being treated for it in the hospital. The doctor told her not to start again but she did and passed away with a respiratory infection about a year and half later. The doctor said with the damage from the tuberculosis, the respiratory infection was just too much for her to survive. I have always felt that if she had not gone back to smoking she might have survived the respiratory infection.

Don't give up you can do it.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

I agree, baby steps and one thing at a time, I like you cant do it all at once. I quit drinking 15 or 20 years ago, I recently mad some huge diet and excersize changes to my life, dropped 20 lbs, got my cholesterol and triglycerides under control. This all prepared me for the quit smoking thing. I got sick a week or so ago and had a respiratory infection and felt like crap so I laid off the excersize for a while. Once things settle down between the 2 jobs a little I'll get back in to it, it made me feel really good and I slept better too.

I had been a nonsmoker for 15 years before my wife finally quit. She put on a bunch of weight but I love her much more now that she stinks no longer. Hang in there, I wanted a smoke for around 3 years before I quit slapping my shirt pocket when drinking coffee. tommie

I had lots of rage issues during those first few days, which I funneled into something constructive... well, DEstructive actually. I had this tool shed against my house that was rotting and needed to be removed. I removed it with an axe, in battlefield roid raging viking style. A little bit at a time, every time I had an outburst I would go outside and pick the axe and start swinging. I'm convinced that was the key to my success. It was either that, or beat my family, or break my furniture or start using tobacco again. Taking out aggression and rage on inanimate objects is really therapeutic, and worth doing even if you're not trying to quit smoking; just to help you live a more relaxed and less stressful life. Releases endorphins or somesuch scientific thing.

View attachment 51018

That picture speaks a thousand words. Rip & run, demo's fun!

Thanks for all of the well wishes guys!! I slipped up last night, bummed one off of the fiancee...my head never spun so fast lol. But today so far so good. Got some tooth picks. In all honesty, its the habit of the hand and mouth that the worse for me. I just wish I never started lol.

Thanks,
Chris
Iv been free from them for 4 years now, and I still reach for the pocket I kept them in. Just a force of habit. For me after the first 5 days it started to get easier. God bless you in your decision, and may he grant you strength.

Today was hard. I don't have any more tool sheds to demo, so I've started doing pushups every time I get real strong hankerin'. Did a lot of pushups today. one set and 5 min later another. then a beer. and more pushups. Got in a few verbal spats with the wife; she's been pretty understanding but I think her patience is wearing thin.

oh yeah, and went through about 1/3 tin of altoids.

Congratulations to those who have quit and I encourage those in the process. Throat cancer caused by smoking has had a huge effect on our family and set my wife and I back years in our careers and financially. My mother-in-law has never seen the reason to quit despite knowing it's killing her and resulting in financial distress for the whole family.

Having studied human physiology and biology in university I can tell you that the start is the hardest. Your body chemistry has to reset and the chemicals used in the cigarettes take some time to flush out of your system. Many of the chemicals act as anti-inflammatory agents and anti-allergens(?) in order to reduce the reaction from your lungs to the smoke. Expect anger and even some bouts of depression as the chemistry normalizes in your system. This is only temporary and you will get past it. Good luck guys.

Paul.

Almost 2 months smoke free! I got this thing beat this time, my sense of smell has gotten better, food taste better too! So with the $150 a month I am saving I decided to reward myself with a new truck, and it will never smell like an ashtray.
new-gmc-001.jpgnew-gmc-002.jpgnew-gmc-003.jpg

new-gmc-001.jpg new-gmc-002.jpg new-gmc-003.jpg

Back