My public quit smoking thread....

With all that money your saving, you can get some tooling or something. Sounds like you have it whipped. Good Luck!

I bought a super clean burke #4 with a bunch of free lathe tooling yesterday as a reward to myself. If I keep my hands busy I don't think about smoking. I have beat the chemical part of the addiction.

gets easier with time. Might put a few lbs on, not from always eating, but smoking kicks up your metabolism a bit.

gets easier with time. Might put a few lbs on, not from always eating, but smoking kicks up your metabolism a bit.
Yup, that's what the doc said too. Haven't picked any up yet though, I did loose 20lbs before I quit though.

Yup, that's what the doc said too. Haven't picked any up yet though, I did loose 20lbs before I quit though.

I sure did, But I was starting to put it on even before l quit. I am soon to be 58, and I think I my system changed.

Wow. Well, my progress went down hill. The patch, didnt work out. I started having some crazy dreams. I mean crazy as no sleep. I need to stop and see my doctor about Chantix. I have cut down a bunch as a result though. A pack a week instead of a pack a day lmao.

Chris

Greg and Chris, we are proud of you. You are very close to the goal!

Wow. Well, my progress went down hill. The patch, didnt work out. I started having some crazy dreams. I mean crazy as no sleep. I need to stop and see my doctor about Chantix. I have cut down a bunch as a result though. A pack a week instead of a pack a day lmao.

Chris
Don't quit quitting, Find what works for you, I have failed many times, but I think I have found what works for me. Chantix has many side effects for some people, but not for me. Some people get depression from it, I have just the opposite and feel rather upbeat, crazy dreams though. It's just a matter of retraining my mind at this point, you have to really want it. My wife still smokes and she has cut down, maybe I have inspired her a little, LOL
Tamper the fact that you have cut down is progress just the same, keep at it, tell yourself that you can do it, want it, when you think about it put it out of your mind. I know easier said than done, but keep at it my friend.

When I quit 10 years ago, I picked up 30 lbs overnight. I started walking 2 miles a day and that took care of it for a while. Since I hit 55 it has just been a struggle with my weight. I guess as one gets older the body changes. Anyway, I would never go back to those nasty cigarettes, I can't even stand the smell anymore.

Chris

When I quit 10 years ago, I picked up 30 lbs overnight. I started walking 2 miles a day and that took care of it for a while. Since I hit 55 it has just been a struggle with my weight. I guess as one gets older the body changes. Anyway, I would never go back to those nasty cigarettes, I can't even stand the smell anymore.

Yeah, thats what happened to me l think, My system changing. I had quit about 2 years ago, but I would smoke one every now and then.
around August of 2012,I was in the ER it was diverticulitis, but I thought it was food poisoning, that's why I went in. I had to wait 2 or 3 hours, and I was fine, but when they had me on that stupid hard exam table, some kind of spasm hit me and hurt like hell. I thought it was my appendix,
Anyways, it knocked the wind out of me, and I didn't like the feeling of not being able to breath, so I voweled not to smoke one again, and I have not.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I promised I would not date anyone that smokes either, it might be too easy to pick it up again.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't quit quitting, Find what works for you, I have failed many times, but I think I have found what works for me. Chantix has many side effects for some people, but not for me. Some people get depression from it, I have just the opposite and feel rather upbeat, crazy dreams though. It's just a matter of retraining my mind at this point, you have to really want it. My wife still smokes and she has cut down, maybe I have inspired her a little, LOL
Tamper the fact that you have cut down is progress just the same, keep at it, tell yourself that you can do it, want it, when you think about it put it out of your mind. I know easier said than done, but keep at it my friend.

a pack a week if you could keep it there might not be too bad, but probably, at least in my case, if I got stressed out, I was smoking normal again.

I quit smoking on the first of the year coincidentally. It wasn't planned to be a new years resolution, it just so happened that I smoked the cig of the last pack of the last carton of the big box of marlboros I recieved from my family in the Philippines on DEC31 and I promised the wife once I finished that box I was done.

But, I kept chewing tobacco. Been smoking for 12 years and dipping for 6 years. I quit the smoking 3 months ago and I quit the dipping 6 days ago. The dipping was significantly harder to quit than the cigarettes. I had lots of rage issues during those first few days, which I funneled into something constructive... well, DEstructive actually. I had this tool shed against my house that was rotting and needed to be removed. I removed it with an axe, in battlefield roid raging viking style. A little bit at a time, every time I had an outburst I would go outside and pick the axe and start swinging. I'm convinced that was the key to my success. It was either that, or beat my family, or break my furniture or start using tobacco again. Taking out aggression and rage on inanimate objects is really therapeutic, and worth doing even if you're not trying to quit smoking; just to help you live a more relaxed and less stressful life. Releases endorphins or somesuch scientific thing.

roidrage.jpg

This is my second time quitting. First time was much easier, and I stayed tobacco free for 8 months. The first time I quit tobacco, I quit drinking at the same time. Then my little brother came home on leave and I went drinking with him, and lit the first smoke up after only 2 beers. So this time I made it a point to keep drinking as I quit smoking, in order to condition myself to drink without needing to smoke at the same time. I can't afford to start smoking again; if I do, I'll never be able to quit again. If it gets as much harder next time as it got this time, I will probably kill someone if I try to quit.

I'm finding that when I want a smoke or a dip, I eat food instead. I'm really porking out. Hit 200lbs today, up from 182 on the first of the year. After I feel like I've fully licked the chewing tobacco cessation, I'm going to start focusing on my weight. Dieting, exercise, all to come. Baby steps. Can't do all this stuff at at once.

roidrage.jpg

Back