My public quit smoking thread....

I smoked for 32 years--- When I quit I was smoking 3 packs a day. Heck I had a cloud of smoke following me around all the time. The trick----- don't try to stop---- Stop. One day I realized that smoking was killing me and I stopped--- nothing to do wiith money or what others thought----they where killing me. Remember you have the power to do anything you want. Oh----it's been better than 10 years since I stopped and trust me I would not be here today if I hadn't.

Chris,

I started smoking at age 7. Yes, 7. My mother smoked, and I picked them up for her at the corner candy store here in Queens. She'd give me some for the trouble. (Drank beer at 7 too, but I grew up around Polish people so that's no surprise). I smoked up to 2 packs a day of the long ones (100's they called them) until I was 21. At that time, cigs were 65 cents a pack in NYC, 75 in the machine. We knew they caused cancer, but I loved smoking (still do). Age 21, my mother got a benign nodule in her throat, so, it was time to think of quitting. I switched to cigars and pipes. Loved smoking and collecting meersham pipes and buying cigars from Wally Frank in NYC. After a year or so, I was able to stop totally. It's been 33+ years now. I still like smoking. I have smoked a Cuban now and then when I got my hands on one (Romeo & Julieta).

I did it- you can too. Doc says my lungs are so clear you would never know I ever smoked.

Quitting smoking is one of the best things you can do for yourself and the people affected by your life.

my story: started smoking age 17 pack a day for 10years quit cold turkey for 2 years...had a few too many Segrams/7ups' one night told myself i could have just one...started slowly but sure enough smoking' again. about a year later i knew i should quit so i did it again.quit cold turkey for another 3 years, i went out with Ol' Jack,and want a walkin' with Jonny... next thing i new i was bummin' a Parlament light from a woman i had just met. i went back to smoking for 5-6 years until my good friends father was diagnosed with stage 2 lung cancer, the doctors gave the recommendation for him to quit smoking. His son and i along with his dad attended a quit smoking program. it's been roughly 8 years or so since i had a cigarette,
My friend's dad is still alive and kicking, he took well to the chemotherapy and after regaining his strength,
went back to work, because he could not because he had to. i admire the tenacity of the old guy.

Good luck on your quitting smoking journey.
Quitting is the easy part, Not letting yourself have another is the hard part.

mike:))

Funny that I found this thread, I have made some major lifestyle changes since the first of december. I have been battling high cholesterol for years. In november I went to the docs for a checkup and some blood work. Seems after my injury last summer and 5 weeks on the couch my triglycerides shot way up, they want you at 150 and I was at 650! A heart attack waiting to happen, it was a wake up call. So I went on a self imposed strict diet, workout 5 days a week with weights and on the treadmill. The doc said the only way to get the triglycerides in check was exercise. I have lost 20 lbs and I feel much better, my ruptured bicep is getting stronger weekly, I'm 52 years old and I am as strong as I was when I was 30, I would never have thought I could get my strength back. Smoking is next, I am weaning myself so the withdrawals won't be so bad. I have smoked since I was 12, I smoke about half a pack a day, I will quit very soon. I can't do it all at once or I will fail, but I know I need to do this and I will! Oh yea, and I will use the money saved for tools......or maybe a fishin boat. LOL The success stories here are motivational, and I will be one too.

Quitting an addiction, any addiction begins with you. The main thing is that you HAVE TO WANT TO. I was an alcholic. One day I woke up and lookend in the mirror and said that's enough. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. That was over 20 years ago. No pills, no groups (tried those) no nuthin, just me. It's a mind set. I have never regreted it.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Cigs are $13 a pack here in NYC. Last time I smoked, they were 65 cents. I can't afford it, I spend too much money on my 3 kids. That's reason enough to stop. Like Cuban cigars, $10 each, you have one, that's it.

Once you figure out that you can control your life you will be surprized at all the things you can do. Now if I could just figure out how to beat this getting old thing.:nono:

WOW 13 bucks a pack!!! Wow. Just wow lol. Gary when you figure out the time continuum, don't forget us when you get rich lol :))

Chris

Where do you get cigs for 6 bucks. They are over 8 bucks here. $17.48 for 2 packs.

"Billy G"

$10.70 a pack here in Long Island NY. Having tried gum, patch, Chantix, etc, I switched to e-Cigarettes back in May and feel 1000 times better. I haven't been able to run up the stairs in years and now I can.

Doc says nicotine isn't really all that bad, it's all the other stuff in tobacco smoke...

John

Back