My new mill drill

My Father had one off these round columb tiawan mills when i was a teenager .

I made my first ever project on one for a first year apprentice mechanic assignment .
I disected a unit unjector from a 71 series detroit to show how the helix and plunger worked in a unit injector .I ended up getting tbe highest score in the tech with that project .that mill went on to make many a spare part on the farm and is still in use now. About 30 years on

Same as many of you - been using my mill for about 4 years and have learned a lot. I found that a 3phase motor plus VFD upgrade made it a much much better machine, operationally.
It lets me change speed without the hassle of belt flipping. so I get to the best speed easily rahter than over or underspeeding the milling cutter.
The motor (3/4 HP) was $30 and the VFD ( 1 HP) was $110

But first get it up and running , then get some milling time under your belt, then do the upgrade

miro

The motor (3/4 HP) was $30 and the VFD ( 1 HP) was $110

I love the idea, but my RF has a 2 HP motor. 3/4 HP plus VFD seems small. Seems you're happy with it, how is it under heavier load?

Ok guys I have separation. Now I'm cooking with wrong fu I'm cooking half at a time as you can see and wondering how long and if doing half is ok? Used sodium carbonate from home depot pool ph adjuster.

Attachments

• 20190531_105038.jpg
    20190531_105038.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 75
Im keen to see how this goes .Am i correct in thinking you have the positive connected to a piece of re bar and negative to the table and using bi carb soda ? What voltage and amps are you set on to make this work im interested for future reference

Yes the set up is what you say and I have it set to 2 amps it has a 10 amp setting but it's working on 2 so I'll see. Not sure how long to cook it though. If anybody knows I would like to hear from them

W
Yes the set up is what you say and I have it set to 2 amps it has a 10 amp setting but it's working on 2 so I'll see. Not sure how long to cook it though. If anybody knows I would like to hear from them
What were the ratio of water to bi carb soda and is there any other chemicals used

1 cup in five gallons got it from home depot pool supply. No other chemicals. I will post the results to see what happens here.

Give it like 4 hours and then check it. Smaller, less rusted stuff you can do in an hour or two; really tough projects have to go overnight.

You're going to have a line at the halfway point, even after dunking the other side. It's cosmetic, can come out with steel wool or polish or whatever you choose for the final cleanup. Remember as soon as the thing leaves the electrolysis bath, give it a rub down with paper towels and a brass brush/000 steel wool to get that black gunk off, or it will immmediately flash-rust.

Back