My new mill drill

Thanks Mikey im feeling better and more excited about this mill. Im planning to go through it all the way. Electrolosis seems like the way to go on the table. One step at a time

Thanks Mikey im feeling better and more excited about this mill. Im planning to go through it all the way. Electrolosis seems like the way to go on the table. One step at a time

Electrolysis will remove most of the paint along with the rust, which is good. Mask it off and paint inside the T-slots with a good oil-resistant paint and you won't likely need to do it ever again.

I wrote up the bearing changes, they're someplace in the Rong Fu section.

You have a good machine. It is worthy of your time to bring it back to life.

I have the Grizzly G1007 (also Taiwan made) equivalent to your mill. Slightly longer table, and it came with a non-functioning table power feed. Paid $700 for it in 2013. I'd say you got a nice bargain. +1 on either Evaporust or electrolysis to clean up large areas of rust. And though I like the humor of your Dung Poo monicker, I'm generally pretty happy with the mill. Welcome to the forum! And if you get to wanting to improve/mod your mill, try the forum search function with "rf-30" in the search field and "hman" in the member field. I've posted a few tips and tricks ... as have many others!

My favorite electrolysis how-to is Electrolytic Rust Removal aka Magic. I bought a plastic tub about 2' long, bent four pieces of rebar into an L shape (long leg down, short leg poking up), drilled holes to zip-tie the rebar, then ran wire connecting them together to an alligator clip. Very simple, lots of bang for the buck (a $3 box of washing soda will last you for years), and you might find yourself chucking everything with rust on it (which can't be all that many things, in Napa) into the bath.

When using Evapo-rust or electrolysis (or whatever), a fairly easy way to make a tub to soak stuff in is to either dig a hole to the proper size and shape to hold the part(s), or make an above ground tank out of plywood and 2x lumber, and then line either version with plastic sheeting to contain the liquid. A snug fitting tank will need a lot less Evapo-rust, which is not cheap. Electrolysis is pretty cheap to do, there is electricity to pay for, but washing soda is cheap... Don't use acids for taking rust off of machines and tools that you want to look nice and hold their dimensions when finished.

I like the idea of making a tank out of 2x. I'm leaning toward electrolosis for the reasons you stated less destructive. I wonder if I can dump the water and residue in the yard?

The left over liquid can be dumped in the yard or drain, it's usually mild alkaline, non-toxic although you wouldn't want to drink it
I like rung fu with extra soy sauce :)

Electrolysis is cheaper, not less destructive. The high pH is high (basic) but not enough to hurt anything. Evaporust contains a chelating agent, which only attacks iron oxide, and is safe to handle with bare hands. Both are considered safe, but both will put dissolved iron and other metals down the drain or in your yard.

Back