My new mill drill

I'm going to guess this play is due to non-existent preload. It is likely that your thrust washer is too thin. Make a thicker one and make sure the preload nut is actually applying pressure to the upper spindle bearing. The only vertical play that should exist is that allowed by the internal bearing clearances in your spindle bearings.

Yea I took the the spindle out and the bearings themselves are moving up and down so I tightened the nuts again put it back together and now I got side play so I'm wondering if breaking that end mill toasted those bearings. I'm not sure if they were loose when I installed initially but you would think I would have noticed. As of now my 10 inch drill press has less run out so I may have a boat anchor here. There is threads showing when I'm tightening the preload so not sure a washer would help.

If you used FAG angular contact bearings it is unlikely that breaking an end mill would break the internal cage; those bearings are very high quality. The threaded part of the spindle tapers at the bottom of the threads; you can still see threads showing but the nut may not be putting adequate pressure on the bearings. Your call but when I made a spacer for this purpose I made it 2mm thick and this was just enough to preload the bearings adequately. 3mm would probably have been a better idea.

Thanks for your reply Mike I was just thinking thinking that that was also the cheapest end mill and and the bearings look good. You must be right I'm going to the hardware store and see what I can find. Thanks again I was feeling bad about being careless and breaking that end mill but I'm reenergized now to get this dialed in.

Do you not have a lathe to make a spacer? Please tell us you are not lathe-less!

Ok mikey you are awesome and I'm latheless but not for long hopefully. 3.4 mm got it tight no movement solid this will be subd out to NASA for skunk works projects. Unless that is to much shim

No, 3.4mm should be just fine. You should have more than enough thread to accommodate a spacer of that thickness. Glad it worked out.

Being lathe-less is a very sad thing - gotta' fix that soon!

I'm new to all this posting and stuff, and in fact machining. Thinking about grizzly 1126 mill that has been in a fire and has been tipped over, needs lots of clean up. it does run. my biggest concern is the tipping over part. anyone have some thoughts on that.
hope this post isn't in the wrong place.

I am guessing that it was not in a too hot part of the fire if it still runs. Check that the X,Y and Z axis all move smoothly. No breaks in the castings. Runs smooth at all speeds and don't pay too much.
As far as forum etiquette goes, you will find that everyone is very forgiving here. My suggestion is to create a unique thread for this discussion instead of using an existing. Good luck

Back