Micke's Vintage Bacho Lathe

Hi Toolroom,

There is no measurable twist on the bed with only the apron on. I'll check again when everything is mounted and it is not on wheels. The wheel arrangement is temporary, which is very helpful when it is moved around during the renovation. It had been outdoors for cleaning, under a roof mounted motor lift in the garage, and in a better illuminated part of the garage while it was painted. So now it is just resting where it is out of the way and waits for other parts to be finished.

I wish it had been on wheels when I took it home. Even though it doesn't have a lot of meat it is really heavy.

Micke.
Check your Spellchecker, It's BAHCO (bark-o) not BACHO (backhoe).:chunky:
I have some Bahco hand tools, some over 40 years old and still in good condition.
Saw blades and files are up there with the best.
Nice looking lathe by the way.
John.

Thank you John, I just discovered that the location of letter C and H are switched on my keyboard :D
Must be switched on mine too Micke because when I was writing the message I misspelt it on the first draft.
Just seems more natural as Bacho for some odd reason.:confused:
John.

The patience for performing dirty and time consuming work is limited. So, when I begin to think - now it MUST be ready, it is just to put the part aside and scrape and clean it all over again another day. This method, and not to be in a hurry to put things together again, makes it easier to get a good result.

Some parts that have got the first round of paint scraping and clean-up below.

DSC04831.JPG DSC04836.JPG DSC04837.JPG

I'll use a smaller and lighter motor to the Bahco lathe to get a more compact build. The motor has the same power, 4 hp, as the original motor but is 2900 rpm instead of 1450 rpm. So it will be geared with a smaller flat belt drum to deliver about the same rpm and torque on the spindle.

Parts begins to be ready. The new (but used) ASEA motor is painted in the same color as the rest of the lathe.

Here is the fabrication of the flat belt drum from a V-belt transmission wheel.

DSC04850.JPG DSC04853.JPG DSC04859.JPG

Definitely not the fun part. I'm thinking we should all have an appropriately attired, (3" heels and short-shorts) curvaceous and mute young shop bunny to do that kind of work. :grin: Mike

She looks great. You really blazed through that one. Very nicely done. Mike

Clean and shiny, beautiful job!
-brino

Back