Micke's Vintage Bacho Lathe

Micke S

Active User
Registered
The Swedish company Bacho are known for making quality tools. I didn't know they have manufactured lathes until today. I bought this lathe today for coffee money, and it is the start of a new project.

The intention was just to buy a SKF live center and a vintage dial indicator on a magnetic stand. Fine so far... But I also bought the lathe and a lot of tooling for it. These tools are not included in the pictures below, I only took a few small things with me home this evening. They are depicted in the last pictures on the blue lift table.

Bacho lathe overview.jpg

20160121_183546.jpg

20160121_183619.jpg

20160121_183631.jpg

20160121_183705.jpg

20160121_183713.jpg

20160121_183757.jpg

20160121_184846.jpg

20160121_184855.jpg

DSC04713.JPG

DSC04711.JPG

DSC04708.JPG

+1 on the tool holder. Never seen one like it...

That looks like a very nice lathe and an interesting project!

Great score! It looks like its in good condition except for some cleanup. You must have bigger coffee fund than me. Keep us in the loop while fixing the thing up.
(The SKF live center looks good as well.)

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Thank you guys. Yes the lathe is unique due to the famous brand, and since it is complete, untouched and in working order and not just a pile of rusty parts.
I got it dirt cheap so it is unfortunately not a sign of good wealth.

Nice lathe. The ways look to be in good shape from here.....a little dusty, but good.
What size is it?

So you do that too; go out for a few small tools and come home with a lathe?
I'm glad I'm not alone.

At least you did get the live centre and indicator......sometimes I get distracted and forget those.
-brino

Nice lathe. The ways look to be in good shape from here.....a little dusty, but good.
What size is it?

So you do that too; go out for a few small tools and come home with a lathe?
I'm glad I'm not alone.

At least you did get the live centre and indicator......sometimes I get distracted and forget those.
-brino

You are not alone :)

I didn't measure it so exactly. The length between centers is approximately 48 inch (1200 mm) and the maximum turning diameter about 16 inch. The spindle hole is one inch.

Nice lathe - looks like it was well cared for. What's the fuzz all over it?

John

I seems to be different sorts of dirt like common dust, paint dust and whatever. A good thing is it seems to be free from rust. The lathe will be fetched tomorrow morning, so today I'll free up the necessary space for it the garage. I quit to work in December (retired) so these projects feels like a gift from heaven :) It is very rewarding to restore old machines and make them look OK and be useful again.

I quit to work in December (retired) so these projects feels like a gift from heaven :) It is very rewarding to restore old machines and make them look OK and be useful again.

Congratulations.
You are now living my dream!
-brino

Back