Micke's Vintage Bacho Lathe

No, the swastika sign was discarded by ASEA 1933. It may even have been illegal to use due to what it represented but I'm not sure.

DSC04724.JPG

Last edited:
I took the motor on a test ride today to check if it is anything to use. It showed up that it vibrates a lot, which can be seen and heard at 9 seconds in the video.

I'm not sure what the reason was but the rotor touched the stator at the front. One end-cover was not positioned correctly and there was a missing bit in the belt wheel. Perhaps all defects added together. I installed a new front bearing, cleaned the internals and then it runs fine.

The motor is a 4 hp motor with a lot of torque due to its wide diameter and huge parts for its size.

Some more pics were taken during the progress. The internals where cleaned so now it is only to scrape (or shake...) the paint off and repaint it.DSC04727.JPG DSC04730.JPG DSC04732.JPG DSC04734.JPG DSC04735.JPG DSC04739.JPG DSC04740.JPG DSC04741.JPG

Well, here comes the "you suck" treatment. Two thumbs up! That is quite the museum piece. Gotta love that old machinery as it tells us where our roots came from in the industry. A big "I like it!"

The motor is painted twice now. The color is close to the original grey-green shade. I used packing tape on the motor plate, which was difficult to remove and needs to be cleaned with alcohol when the paint is dry tomorrow.

Gammal färg.jpg DSC04754.JPG

I've now started with the lathe itself. It is disassembled in its main parts to facilitate a good cleaning and inspection. A lot of non-sensitive parts can now be pulled outside and get a first cleaning by solvent and pressurized water.

DSC04768.JPG DSC04769.JPG DSC04772.JPG DSC04774.JPG

I did a temporary solution to make the lathe transportable while it is being serviced.

DSC04775.JPG DSC04776.JPG DSC04777.JPG

Last edited:
It is coming along very well.......and fast!
-brino

I'll use drip oilers for a Myford 7 that I've got today. They are quite nice since they are made by glass and brass. It feels better to see and know that there is an oil supply than just splash oil into a small hole and perhaps even forget it...

DSC04792.JPG

Last edited:
Back