Micke's Vintage Bacho Lathe

wow Micke, you are not wasting any time making the old girl look pretty again!
very nice work!

Thank you guys !

Yes I'm looking forward to see the old girl in work again some day. She cannot compete with Munktell in heavy cutting. He has a lot more muscles and more solid bones. But I'm sure she will supply me with perfectly well turned parts, of her size. :)

Last edited:
I begin to see the light in the tunnel regarding the Apron. Just to sand it and paint it now. The old paint is scraped with the edge of a file. The internals looks fine and it was interesting to learn how the feed clutch operates.

DSC04793.JPG DSC04796.JPG DSC04798.JPG DSC04800.JPG

Soo nice! Old ASEA motor you say? Does it have the old -not so politically correct- logo?:D

Ugluk, being the curious type and not familiar with the ASEA motors history, I Googled it and. Was surprised at the logo that they used. Very interesting that just prior to 1940 they changed it! I hope MickeS give you an answer with pics!

The motor plate is depicted in the first post on this page.

I've just finished the first paint layer on the apron. It will look better after a second layer. The work involved is a lot more than I expected but it is just to spit in the hands and move forward and feel proud afterwards.

Apron.jpg

it's great to see an old machine given a new life and not melted down to make tin cans

Ugluk, being the curious type and not familiar with the ASEA motors history, I Googled it and. Was surprised at the logo that they used. Very interesting that just prior to 1940 they changed it! I hope MickeS give you an answer with pics!
I wouldn't say that 1933 was "just prior to 1940" in this context. There was never a nazi affiliation and the dropping of the logo probably had something to do with the rise of the NSDAP-party.
A friend of mine has an old asea motor with the swastika logo that is mine for the taking. I think I'll take him up on it and keep it for the rarity value.

The Bacho lathe project is slowly moving forward. The vertical metal surface above the rack gear needs to be cleaned for a better appearance.
The ways are finished with an oil stone so the apron moves nice end freely.Bacho assembly.jpg

Uh, Micke.
May I ask a question? Seeing this is such an older lathe, AND, who knows where it has sat for most of its life... Would you think that the bed might have a slight twist to it? Just asking here...You've done a beautiful job so far, but I must ask... with the wheels, how are you going to level the machine? Unless, of course this is just tempory. I passed up an older lathe for that reason.
P.S. Keep up the good work. Being a member of the Antique Motorcycle Club of America, I love to see rustorations, no matter what they are. They're all roots.
Toolroom

Back