Is there anyway to fix this razor top?

Once you've found and settled in with your favorite, you'll want to go make a stand for it..

From stainless, of course.

Is that 1.5" stainless? Hmm, I might have some 1.5" stainless... Does it have a flat bottom, or a ring around the outer edge with a relieved center? That looks like something I could make...

Is that 1.5" stainless? Hmm, I might have some 1.5" stainless... Does it have a flat bottom, or a ring around the outer edge with a relieved center? That looks like something I could make...

It has a flat bottom. The hole is through drilled for drainage, and counter bored to hold the razor.

Interesting timing for this post. After years of curiosity I just started using a safety razor last week.

Its a bit of a rabbit hole, but as with most things there are youtube videos on getting started with them.

So far minimal blood letting. :grin: I'm finding that once I got past the fear of shredding my face, the technique is not really much different from how I normally shave with a cartridge razor. I'm not finding the quality of the shave significantly better than a cartridge but certainly less expensive. I've got 20+ years shaving with a cartridge so the safety razor may improve as I try different combinations and get more used to it.

I went with this one, which is recommended for beginners.

Viking Chieftain Jr

Linked to their site but available at Amazon for about 1/2 the price.

Testing continues. In an effort to speed this up, I tried shaving with two razors. On one side of my face, I used the not so red tip Gillette and on the other, I used the Rockwell with a #4 back plate. Might be confirmation bias, but the Rockwell gives a great shave. Closer than #3, but not too much. The red tip is ok, I rate it as middle of the pack. It is better than the Merkur with a #1 head and #2 plate. If I should see a red tip in slightly better condition, I would be tempted to get it.

Interesting timing for this post. After years of curiosity I just started using a safety razor last week.

Its a bit of a rabbit hole, but as with most things there are youtube videos on getting started with them.

So far minimal blood letting. :grin: I'm finding that once I got past the fear of shredding my face, the technique is not really much different from how I normally shave with a cartridge razor. I'm not finding the quality of the shave significantly better than a cartridge but certainly less expensive. I've got 20+ years shaving with a cartridge so the safety razor may improve as I try different combinations and get more used to it.

I went with this one, which is recommended for beginners.

Viking Chieftain Jr

Linked to their site but available at Amazon for about 1/2 the price.
Good luck with your journey! The only thing I would add, is to consider getting one that is adjustable for "depth of cut". I find the beginner setups to be very mild and make me feel that I haven't quite shaved. So they are great as an introduction to the "sport", but you will soon be moving on to more aggressive shavers. Some shavers have replaceable back plates, others like the Gillette black handled one have a numbered adjustment.

Good luck with your Viking Chieftain Jr. Looks pretty nice.

I hate the amount of money I spend/spent on disposable blades refills (think Gillette Mach3)... and never been a fan of electric razors...

But I got one of those Braun Series 5 electric razors, as a gift, two years ago... That helped me stop buying more refills. But these just do not feel as closed as a shave over the razor blades.

I mentioned that I also got the manual razor (again, not sure of the brand, will share when I get home)... as a gift with some stuff from The Art of Shaving, but I have been afraid of slicing my face with it...

This thread is giving me the motivation to give that a try. Also, based on all the work @WobblyHand has done comparing these, I will order one of those Rockwell 6S... Different from other stuff, I will stick with just one and not venture into the collection madness some of you have been blessed with :D:D:D

@wachuko You can cut yourself, sure. But you can with cartridges too if you're not careful. I even shave my head with my safety razor, and that's a bit more difficult than one's face.

I hate the amount of money I spend/spent on disposable blades refills (think Gillette Mach3)... and never been a fan of electric razors...

But I got one of those Braun Series 5 electric razors, as a gift, two years ago... That helped me stop buying more refills. But these just do not feel as closed as a shave over the razor blades.

I mentioned that I also got the manual razor (again, not sure of the brand, will share when I get home)... as a gift with some stuff from The Art of Shaving, but I have been afraid of slicing my face with it...

This thread is giving me the motivation to give that a try. Also, based on all the work @WobblyHand has done comparing these, I will order one of those Rockwell 6S... Different from other stuff, I will stick with just one and not venture into the collection madness some of you have been blessed with :D:D:D
Hope you like it. It is a heavy bugger, (compared to the other shavers I have tried,) but it shaves really well. Start out with a #1 plate at first, because we don't want you crying that you cut yourself :) A #1 is very beginner friendly. You can start out with shaving cream initially. Easier to see where you have been.

Back